Wet Jerky Marinade Survey

Started by josbocc, April 09, 2011, 05:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Just got a jerky marinade recipe from a friend at work, and it calls for using 8 oz. of Pepsi (my buddy says he has substituted Dr. Pepper, and likes that even better).

Anyone out there experimented with this type of marinade?

I do a lot of GB jerky and thought about trying the Dr. Pepper instead of water when mixing.  I'm also planning on another batch of Jerky Nuggets in a couple of weeks, and thought about adding the soda to them.

Please share your thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

muebe

Now I have used a wet marinade to make jerky nuggets but it did not have any soda in it. I happen to have a recipe for a sweet bbq sauce that uses Dr.Pepper as a ingredient. Now I hate Dr.Pepper but the sauce is fantastic. I think you may be on to something good using soda....
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

josbocc

Muebe,

Personally, I am NOT a Dr. Pepper fan..., but the thought of it in a Marinade really has me intrigued.  I am hoping that someone out there has tried something similar to this.  I don't do little batches of jerky.  It's 15 lbs. at a time, or it's not worth destroying the kitchen.  That being said..., I don't want to ruin 15 lbs. of GB, or Sirloin. 

I know that someone has tried it (otherwise YouTube wouldn't be around).   ;)  Please share!!!

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Mr Walleye

Jeff

Here's a thread that's 3 pages long. Nepas made a rootbeer jerky and Gizmo did as well. They also discussed using Dr Pepper.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4893.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SoCalBuilder

Don't they dissolve nails in cola? I thought that is why they invented Jack Daniels; so you wouldn't have to drink that stuff straight  ;)

josbocc

Thanks for the feedback.  SoCal, I've tried the bourbon wet marinade, and I have to say..., that was some good $#!(, not to mention that it smelled awesome in the dehydrator.  Haven't had the opportunity to try the cola method yet, but when I do, I will be sure to post the results.

Thanks Again,

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

oguard

I have used cola and root beer in my marinades for whole muscule jerky. I quite like the extra flavour it adds to the meat.

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

josbocc

Mike,

Thanks for your input.  I'm gonna try it eventually.  Will post results once I do.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

josbocc

Dr. Pepper jerky chunks are getting happy as I type.  Sam's Club wasn't open at 1:00 PM on Easter Sunday, so it was off to Hannafords I went.  Would've liked to have used whole sirloin, but alas bottom round will have to do.  8 pounds ought to do the trick.

Chunked up, 16 ounce of Dr. Pepper, and some Hi-Mtn garlic-n-pepper and Mesquite (the little packets from old X-mas gifts), with just a dash of soy, and a little cayenne.

48 hours in the fridge, not sure if I'll smoke, then dehydrate..., or just dehydrate.  I'll let y'all know how they turn out.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!