PID and Bradley Temp Differ.

Started by bundy, May 01, 2011, 08:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

I have always had a wide range from my PID cabinet probe to the Bradley Cabinet Thermometer. Sometimes up to 30* depending on where I have the PID probe located. If lower in the cabinet then they are closer together but still 10* Difference to as much as 30*-40* Diff. if I have the PID probe higher and to the front. Is this common or have I been "cooking " my meat to fast?

Thanks for your help.

muebe

I have seen as much as a 50F degree difference. The PID probe should be the trusted temp and not the cabinet guage. Make sure to place the temp probe just below your lowest tray of meat ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

Quote from: muebe on May 01, 2011, 08:27:55 AM
I have seen as much as a 50F degree difference. The PID probe should be the trusted temp and not the cabinet guage. Make sure to place the temp probe just below your lowest tray of meat ;)

Yup what he said. I added a clip to my probe that allows me to put it any where I need it

bundy

Thanks for the advise, that's about what I have always done, but seem like a huge spread and didn't want to cook to fast or to hot.

When the Bradly read out says 230*-270* I get nervous ::) ::)

devo

I hear ya about the spread in temps. I did a turkey for easter and watched to temp close. I had the pid probe and a small maverick probe and the bradley all reading different temps. I went with the pid temp.

ghost9mm

Also agree with the above posts that I trust my PID over anything else...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SGJ Smoker

Sound like all of you trust your PID.  Do you guys calabrate them when you get them?

TedEbear

Quote from: SGJ Smoker on May 04, 2011, 05:00:40 AM
Sound like all of you trust your PID.  Do you guys calabrate them when you get them?

Absolutely.  The PID doesn't know if you have a single or dual element, 4 or 6 rack smoker, etc.  You could probably get by with the generic settings but if you want it custom tuned for your smoker do the autotune.  It is easy to initiate.

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: devo on May 01, 2011, 09:10:26 AM
I hear ya about the spread in temps. I did a turkey for easter and watched to temp close. I had the pid probe and a small maverick probe and the bradley all reading different temps. I went with the pid temp.

DEVO, is your smoker turned off in the pic or does using the PID blank the display out?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

muebe

Bigbirdoffroad that happens because the PID digital display has a slow refresh rate and the camera picks that up...similar to how a television display will look through a video camera. When I take pictures of my display it does the same thing ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Bigbirdoffroad

muebe, Not the display on the PID, The display on the BDS. Just trying to get an idea of what the PID setup is like on the BDS.

Thanks.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!