Bad week for the Bradley

Started by Hiram, April 30, 2011, 08:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiram

It started last weekend when the internal PID sensor went on the blink as I was starting to do some ribs, it's had a questional outside plug for some time (error on the PID but some wiggling of the wires helped it). Luckily I ordered a new sensor a few months ago so I installed it.
As I opened the door to put the ribs in the lower plastic on the door holding hinge in place shattered you could still open the door you just had to hold the bottom of it. I learned once you close the door the magnetic force will seal it nicely so I soldered on and the ribs turned out great.
I called Bradley for a new door and it only took 3 days to get here and now it sits in it's box in the living room. Did a meatloaf last night, I figured if I held the door it would work again and it did.
The lesson I learned is always clean your door seal after use, I think it causes undue stress on the hinges when it sticks because of the residue.
Going to Sam's today to look at meat, I will have to walk by the Masterbuilt smokers they have for 300.00. I've looked at them several times and except for the smoking system I really like them, Now if I could figure a way to install a Bradley smoke box on one It would be gold in my opinion.

muebe

It would not be too difficult to install a Bradley Smoke Generator into a MES. You would need to use a cold smoke adapter and the cut a hole in the side of the MES for the smoke to enter. Then install some support pegs for the cold smoke adapter to hook to. Or just make a cold smoke box with a metal mailbox and install some vent tubing to the MES...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

The way I think about it is if your going to add a smoke generator to a smoker you might as well build one yourself. That way you can have it as big as possible. It really is not that hard if you have a plan. Take what you have seen on store bought smokers and put on paper. Get someone with welding skills to build you the inside and framework. The outside can be almost anything. (wood metal) The smoke generator can be adapted to almost any smoker. Smokers where never very fancy before so why should they be now. I have friends that still smoke the old way and its all good.