My throwdown recipe submission for the Sizzle Forum...

Started by muebe, May 01, 2011, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

CB over at the Sizzle Forum had posted a friendly throwdown contest.

http://sizzleonthegrill.com/user-forums/index.php?topic=4559.0

The rules are as follows...

Here are the 4 key ingredients:

Pork - one cut only - you select. For example: tenderloin is a cut. Loin is a cut. shoulder is a cut. belly is a cut. bacon is a cut
   fennel
   strawberry jam
   spinach

Basic guidelines:

Using those 4 key ingredients (you can use spices, rubs, etc.) but may not add substantial ingredients that overshadow the dish. For instance, you can use mushrooms as an enhancement - but the dish couldn't be bacon-wrapped mushrooms.

Dish must be prepared primarily on a Char-Broil cooker or cookers (allowing for multiple cookers to accommodate methods which, for example - might be smoking in a Fat Boy and finishing in TBE) No other brand of outdoor cookers is eligible but you can use fry pans, stoves, etc.

OK - Have at it folks! 

And here is my submission....Wish me luck ;)

RED Seared/Smoked Strawberry Jam Glazed Pork Tenderloin Wrapped Around Fennel And Stuffed With Spinach, Scotch Ale Cheddar, & Swiss Gruyere...whew ;D

Here are the players...

First I grated the two stinky cheeses(Scotch Ale Cheddar and Swiss Gruyere). 3/4 Ale Cheddar and 1/4 Swiss...

Then I mixed in the spinach and off to the fridge..

Now for the two Tenderloins. They were salted with hickory smoked salt, fennel seed, and white pepper...

The Fennel Bulb was then cut and then I made two hollow round sections of the bulb. Then I wrapped the tenderloins around the fennel and tied them with butcher's twine.

Then I made a strawberry jam glaze using the jam, dark brown sugar, smoked sriracha chili sauce and unsalted butter..

Next I used the RED grill pan insert to sear the outside of the tenderloins..

Then I moved them to the top rack on the left side of the grill and applied a generous coating of strawberry jam glaze. And then loaded the pan insert with apple wood chips...

They were smoked/cooked with the two right side burners on low until the IT temp of the loins were at 150F...

After they reached the IT of 150F I moved them to the bottom right side of the grill and then stuffed them with the mix of spinach and cheese...

All done, plated for presentation,(round thingies are Leek slices) and ready to eat ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smokeville

Wow, that's very inventive!! Who would have thunk it?

The contest reminds me more of Chopped than Bobby Flay's Throwndown. But, so what? Great eats! (With apologies to Alton Brown)

Rich

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ghost9mm

Oh!! heck you won just on presentation, you really done well and you deserve a master chefs hat or something...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill