Does anyone own one of these...

Started by muebe, May 05, 2011, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I am going to buy another TBE just for when I go camping(my TBE runs on natural gas). I do not own any LP tanks because all my stuff is natural gas or electric. So just curious if anyone has one of these tanks...

http://www.litecylinder.com/products.aspx

They look like they are much lighter and you can actually see how much propane is in the tank.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Chili Head

I've never seen them but they look interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArnieM

I've never seen one in person either but it looks good.

Amazon has the 20 pound version for about $95 with free shipping.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

That is a great idea for camping...   10 pounds would probably run the TBE for a few days I would imagine?

devo

I really don't see any advantage to them myself. A simple tape gage on the side of a regular tank works perfect. I don't think the cost of the lite weight compared to a regular tank is worth it. Most places, at least here in Canada have the exchange system so I don't know how that will play into it.

muebe

Quote from: devo on May 05, 2011, 03:02:38 PM
I really don't see any advantage to them myself. A simple tape gage on the side of a regular tank works perfect. I don't think the cost of the lite weight compared to a regular tank is worth it. Most places, at least here in Canada have the exchange system so I don't know how that will play into it.

Devo there are about 30 places in my town alone that re-fill LP tanks. And they are all over California also. The TBE does not come with a LP tank and I do not currently own one so I thought this would be a cool option. But... in Canada if you only mainly have exchange only then I could see your point that it is not worth much to you...
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

No we have either or, I can understand they are light and they are different thats for sure. I have propane tanks on my travel trailer and use them for a gas BBQ. Other than the lite factor I really dont see any advantage to them. Tanks here in Canada have to be inspected ever five years any ways. Mostly the valves have to be changed out. Well the lite ones do look real purty  ;D

devo

Well I tried to find as many reviews of this tank as I could and so far the only bad thing writen about it was a guys saying to be carefull because of the shape or size some standard attachments won't fit the tank. He didn't go into detail.
The biggest plus was that everyone liked the fact that you can see how much is left in the tank. And dollar for dollar it works out pretty close.

QuoteThe average price of buying your first traditional 20 lb propane tank is $59 versus $97 for a Lite Cylinder plus the cost of the initial fill.  I was able to get it filled up for $17.50, so the total initial layout is gonna be around $115.  If each refill of the Lite Cylinder runs $17.50 versus an average $21.99 to exchange the metal tank, at the 15th fill, you've basically broken even with the Lite Cylinder coming in at $360.00 versus $366.86 for the metal. The tanks are rated for 15 years. Now the cylinder has to be re-certified every 5 years, and just a cursory investigation found that it shouldn't be so difficult to find out how to go about that.  The cost of that may affect the comparative value proposition discussed, but being able to see what you've got is definitely worth something.

Keymaster

Those are pretty cool, I like the see thru advantage, I always use the pick up and swirl guess method. Nothing worse than running out of fuel mid-cook and them metal ones leave rust rings every where you set them down in Washington rainy state ;) The only down fall I see is the price but may be offset for the convienences. I'm saving for a BBQ guru for my Primo but that may be next for my outdoor heater ;D Thanks for sharing.

Habanero Smoker

I would check to make sure that those tanks are legal in your state, and any state you plan to travel to. States have different laws on the types of porpane tanks that can be refilled.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 06, 2011, 01:48:41 AM
I would check to make sure that those tanks are legal in your state, and any state you plan to travel to. States have different laws on the types of porpane tanks that can be refilled.

According to their website they are approved for use in every U.S. state....

OU812

You think they will make an 500 gal one?  :D

That way I wouldnt have to go out in the winter to see how much propane I dont have.  ::)

Every thing I have runs on propane.

muebe

Well I ordered a new TBE and one of these LP containers from Amazon both with free shipping. I got the 20 gallon one. When I am camping I do not want to run out of propane since I am usually gone for a week ;D