Ground turkey vs. ground beef??????

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, May 16, 2011, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

OK, What's the deal here???? Everyone talks about how ground turkey is so much better for you than ground beef. I have to say Bullshat!!!!! I was looking at the nutrition guide for the turkey and beef I have in the freezer. They both had 240 calories per 4 oz. serving but the turkey had 190 calories from FAT and the ground beef only had 140 calories from fat!!!! So, Am I wasting my time and flavoring by buying ground turkey over buying ground beef???
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

viper125

I would say so! Unless there is some hidden benifit.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

deb415611

I think it depends on what kind you buy.  I buy either shady brook farm 93/7  -   4 oz is 160 calories and 70 are from fat or their ground turkey breast which I believe is 98/2 or 99/1 which would be even better calorie & fat numbers.   So I think you have to look at the labels before you buy.  

Ka Honu

Ground turkey is like tofu and tilapia - THEY AIN'T FOOD!  Just sayin'.

GusRobin

Quote from: Ka Honu on May 16, 2011, 05:00:29 PM
X2
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on May 16, 2011, 05:00:29 PM

Don't listen to him, he eats turkey tails!

watchdog56

I am with you bigbird. I have checked that before and I can't figure it out either. It might be just like the ethanol is better just costs more to produce and is not as good in the long run for your engine.

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 16, 2011, 05:11:21 PMDon't listen to him, he eats turkey tails!

I'll cop to the turkey tails. Rubbed and/or injected with CT and thrown in TBE/SRG (after smoking if you like), they're awesome.

Turkey is food until you grind it up while liver is food only after you grind it up (e.g., pâté, liverwurst).
Tofu is one of many soybean products, some of the others of which are food (e.g., miso). 
Tilapia, however, are in the same category as Vegemite/Marmite, natto, and balut - none of them is ever food.

Go figger.

Habanero Smoker

Also it depends on which type of ground beef you are comparing it to. Ground chuck with have a higher fat content than ground sirloin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: Ka Honu on May 16, 2011, 08:19:11 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on May 16, 2011, 05:11:21 PMDon't listen to him, he eats turkey tails!

I'll cop to the turkey tails. Rubbed and/or injected with CT and thrown in TBE/SRG (after smoking if you like), they're awesome.

Turkey is food until you grind it up while liver is food only after you grind it up (e.g., pâté, liverwurst).
Tofu is one of many soybean products, some of the others of which are food (e.g., miso). 
Tilapia, however, are in the same category as Vegemite/Marmite, natto, and balut - none of them is ever food.

Go figger.

LMAO!!!

Smokeville

The USDA database has a number of entries for raw ground turkey. There is 85% lean, 15% fat; 93% lean, 7% fat; and fat free. As well as numerous other entries.

Since ground poultry is usually very bland, like HS compared chuck to sirloin, I'm assuming the producers mix in some fat (skin?) to bring up the flavour.

Rich

thirtydaZe

theres also a big difference between ground turkey and ground turkey breast.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

ghost9mm

Quote from: thirtydaZe on May 17, 2011, 08:55:01 AM
theres also a big difference between ground turkey and ground turkey breast.

X2 you bet...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Bigbirdoffroad

Does it have to do with cholesterol? Is that why the ground turkey is supose to be better for you???

Ka Honu

Well of course it is!  If it's not food, then you can't eat it and no cholesterol enters your system.