Auber PID - Difference Between Dual 1203 and Dual 1503 1800 Watt

Started by CalSmoke, June 01, 2011, 09:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalSmoke

Greetings Folks.  Have a DBS and was going to purchase an Auber to control the sausage temp a tad better.  Question is that Auber has the dual probe Bradley model (WSD-1203CPH), but I was noticing another dual probe model, the WSD-1503CPH).  What is the difference between the two other than the $30 bucks.  I did notice that the 1503 was 1800 watts, and with that said, what is the wattage of the 1203?

I not only am going to run the DBS with the Auber, but plan on using it with my Traeger Texas BBQ075, which is one of the larger Traegers.  Additionally, I have the dual element mod on my DBS so maybe the Auber 1503 with the higher wattage is the ticket for me.

Okay you Auber guru's, fill me in on what I need.

Thanks folks.

CalSmoke (Northern California Smoker)

muebe

The Traeger does not use much energy after the hotrod shuts off(after 4 minutes) so controlling the Treager is not going to tax the PID. Having a dual element mod should not be a problem either for the 1203. I am running a OBS with 900w finned element  and a convection fan on my dual probe 1203 Auberins PID and have no issues with power.

So I do not think you need to spend the extra money....
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

muebe

Also... I have been working on using my Auberins to control my Trager Jr. I can maintain a constant temp at 300F and above without major temp swings. The problem is when you go below 300F. At 250F and below it will hold steady until there is a small temp swing up above set temp. The PID will wait for the temp to drop below the setpoint. The problem is that the pellet chamber will lose fuel and start to cool. So then the PID kicks into overdrive running the auger and filling up the chamber. And then by the time you get re-ignition the temp will soar way above the set-point and then it gets worse from there. The way that the Traeger 180/225 digital thermostat compensates for this issue is that it switches to smoke mode when temp is above set-point for more than 65 seconds(depending on P setting). Then it will dump 15 seconds worth of pellets every 65 seconds keeping the champer lit and the temp from free falling. Then it goes back to standard mode once it is below set-point temp again.

So the problem is getting the PID to replicate the smoke mode when temp is above setpoint. How to do this without a stoker I am not sure. There are some who have done it on Pelletheads forum but they have spent a lot of time with a stoker and are using a more flexible PID the the Auberins Bradley models. If you figure out the proper settings then please share them with me ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

CalSmoke

Thanks Guys.  I did not want to spend the extra money if I did not need to.    In regards to my pellet pooper (the Traeger), I was just going to use the auber to shut the whole rig off when the meat reached a certain temp.  I hate babysitting.  I have the digital controller on the pellet pooper but the temp swings are wild.  But the butts and tri-tips are much more forgiving to the temp swings than the sausages. 

Do you know the wattage of the smaller Auber and is that the only difference between the two?

I appreciate your info and thanks folks.

CalSmoke

muebe

The power rating is 1440 watts for 120VAC, more than sufficient for the 500 watts required by the Bradley smoker. It will also work for Bradley Smoker that has an additional 500 watts heater installed. If you are going to use it for larger smokers, you need make sure the total power drawn, including the smoker generator control output, should not exceed 1440 Watt at 120V (or 2000 Watts at 240V).

Also do not get the "Wall mount" Temp sensor...get the free hanging ;D

CalSmoke

Okay Auber Guru's.  Ordered the original Bradley Auber today with the hanging probe.  Actually was not considering the button probe since the unit will be flipping between 3 different smoke chambers.  I would like to thank all for your quick and informative information.  Guess that's what these forums are all about.  ;)

CalSmoke (Northern California Smoker)