Whole trout

Started by Rolling, May 10, 2011, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling

I'm preparing to smoke 17 (head and tail off) 12'' rainbows this weekend. Used Boutch's recipe with apple on past runs with great success. Reading some forums and feeling adventurist I found this brine mix from a post 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup dark suger, 1 gal water, and 1 cup maple syrup and smoke with maple. I plan to use this recipe along with Boutch's directions and alternate cooking technique. My question is the maple smoke? I never used maple with fish always apple or cherry. Any success stories out there? I have more runs to make this year and also want to try alder smoke with one of them with Boutch's, Kummok's, or this brine.   

Mr Walleye

I have never used Maple on fish so I can't help much there but I have done Kummok's Salmon using Alder and it turns out fantastic.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokeville

Maple is wonderful with rainbows. Especially since you have maple syrup in the brine. I have done this many times and you will love the result.

Enjoy! Rich

Habanero Smoker

I find that maple and apple are almost interchangeable, especially when using short smoke times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Smokeville on May 10, 2011, 09:05:54 PM
Maple is wonderful with rainbows. Especially since you have maple syrup in the brine. I have done this many times and you will love the result.

Enjoy! Rich

I totally agree. Done that a few times and were a hit.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

RossP

I like to hit the Rainbows with an hour of Apple then throw them on the grill to finish for dinner.
Never have a problem getting fresh Rainbows around here, I just grab the Fly Rod and head
down to the local lake. :D

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

grnhs

Mike do you do whole trout with kummoks salmon recipe?

minnowfisher

Hi Rolling,
Here is a recipe for your rainbows, it is by far the best that I have tried, also the easiest;

third of a cup of sugar
quarter cup of salt
2 cups light soy sauce
1 cup water
1 cup dry cider or white wine
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn crushed black peppercorns
1/2 tspn onion salt
1/2 tspn tabasco sauce

Mix all ingredients together in a large container, place fish into the brine and marinate overnight, take out the fish and rinse, pat dry and air dry until pellicle forms put into smoker for approx 1 hour and 30 mins with oak bisquettes.
JFG
Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur
Once an Argyll, always an Argyll