First pork shoulder 5 pound

Started by Captainkirk, June 09, 2011, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainkirk

Okay this is my first attempt at smoking , I have a 5 pound pork shoulder that has been marinated at sat for two days in the fridge . I have the digital smoker too plus I just received my two probe auber digital thing ? Should I use it for the pork ?
My questions are what flavor pucks should I use ? How long should I smoke for ? And if I'm right I should cook till IT is at 190 ? Than FTC for two hours ?
I've never used my smoker yet so this will be y first smoke do I need to spray the racks or anything else besides preheat ? Thanks fir any info ! I did try a search on pork shoulders but didn't find smoke time !
Ron 

peyton23

Hey captainkirk, welcome!  I know that there's probably more experts out there, but I'll tell you what I've done.  Most will tell you to smoke your pork until it gets to an IT of 190.  I usually smoke mine for 4-5 hours with using either cherry, apple, pecan or maple.  I've also combined the woods, for example, apple and cherry, apple and pecan or apple and maple.  It's really up to you.  What will end up happening is that you will find a flavor or combination of flavors that you will really like.  As for the time, usually it takes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound, but remember, that the meat will stall in the 150-160 range for anywhere from 2-4 hours, sometimes longer depending on the cut of meat, due to the breaking down of the collagen inside of the meat and that will cause the long stall.  The thing to remember is that the meat will finish when it's done and not before!!  I try to estimate a time, but I always give myself extra time in case.  I would also FTC for at least two hours.   I do usually spray my racks before putting them in the smoker and usually the meat doesn't stick, if it does, it's usually a very small amount.  As for the auber.  I just recently purchased one as well and haven't had the chance to use it.  I would say that if this is your first pork shoulder, maybe you should use it only if you're comfortable doing so, as it can be a little overwhelming at first, but you have to use it sometime!  I hope that I answered your questions.  I'm sure that others will chime in, as everyone on this board is really helpful in getting everyone the help that they need.  Let us know if you need anything else,  please post pictures as well, since we all love photos! 

Captainkirk

Thank you I'll follow you method 4 sure I'll skip on the auber cause I don't need to confuse myself any more , I'll post pictures for sure too I like your method of puck use! I have so many here I think that's what I'll try ! Should I put the pork at the top or bottom of the smoker ? I do have a digital thermometer too is 190 the right It temp ? How often do you need to check the water bowl ? And I should cook at 210 degrees to right ?  I love this site so much but t making me hungry ! Lol
Ron

peyton23

Sure Captain, I'm happy to help.  I would say to smoke the shoulder at 225, and yes, set the probe for 190-195, it's up to you, I've done both, usually I shoot for an IT of 190.  Usually I only smoke the shoulder for 4 hours and I change the water immediately after ( sorry, I forgot that part ).   I will also usually change the water every 4 hours if possible, you can wait a little longer if you want.  Remember though, I've been told that every time that you open the smoker door, it adds about 20-30 minutes onto the cook.  I think that the saying is: " If you're lookin', you're not cookin' "  lol.   I usually put boiling water in the pan when I change it, because I believe that it keeps the cabinet temp and moisture up somewhat.  As for where to place the shoulder, generally I've been told to use one of the middle racks, usually 2nd or 3rd on mine ( I have the 4 rack BDS ).  I do have a couple of posts that I've done in the past of my smokes, if it'll help at all.   I've always looked at a couple of posts before starting on mine, just to get ideas.  Good Luck!!  If you have any other questions, let us know!

Captainkirk

So I need a drip pan with boiling water in it too . Plus the bowl for the pucks ? I thi k I'll bevready to start cooking tonight !
Ron

WarriorMedic

A good piece of advice which I received recently:  Change the water every four hours while you are smoking.  It is designed to catch and extinguish the pucks so they do not become wicks for the rendered fat that is dropping into the bowl.  You don't want your new smoker to be charbroiled by a grease fire.

I smoked my first pork butt for almost 12 hours at 220 until it finally got to 200* in the center.  FTC for an hour after that.  It is well worth the wait, as the bone will slide right out, and you just mash the meat apart with your fingers and the palms of your hands.  I used Jack Daniels pucks for two hours, and then Hickory the last two on mine.

Good luck.  You are about to be in Hog Heaven for real!
You won't drop dead, trust me.  You will pass out first.

Captainkirk

Any one have a picture of there pork shoulder or butt in the smoker
I really enjoy all the feed back but I'll bevsure to tell my friends who eat the dinner it's all thanks to the guys on the Bradley forum !
Ron

MidKnightRider

The change of water is the puck water bowl, you can also put a pan on the rack BELOW the pork to catch the drippings from it.
I add a beer or two to the pan and let it catch the drippings then put it in the refer to chill while the pork is in the F.T.C.  Pull the fat off that forms while it is in the refer and mix the drippings back into the pulled pork. It's great that way.
Here is a picture of a butt its not in my Bradley , this one I did in my old Char-Broil electric H20
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Captainkirk

Hey that's sounds like a great idea ! Do you think I need to add anything to the pork shoulder when I change the water in the bowl like brush a sauce or anything or just leave it ?
Ron

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Captainkirk

Wicked thanks on my way to Costco to grab some ribs !!! For next week
Ron