Is 4 hours smoke time enough for a 6 lb butt?

Started by macnernie, April 29, 2011, 05:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macnernie

I'm smoking a 6lb butt @ 225. Was planning on using 4 hours worth of Apple Wood smoke.

Is 4 hours enough active smoke time?

GusRobin

Should be --but using a wood like apple you may want more. But it really comes down to individual taste. I would go with the 4 and see how you like it. Next time you can adjust accordingly.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jimmyb

I have heard folks say that after 4 hours of smoke the meat does not take any more smoke flavor so it is a waste. I have also seen some of the experts on this forum applying smoke for much longer. I think it's another one of those debates. I do my butts with 4 hours no matter what wood I use. 

kinyo

I put 5-6 hours of hickory on mine & it's perfect for my taste!

muebe

Apple is a lighter wood and the flavor is not very robust. I would suggest going one hour of hickory or oak and then two hours of apple. But... it's also a personal taste. I rarely go over 4 hours of smoke. I belong to the crowd that going with many hours of smoke might just be a waste of pucks. IMHO you can only get so much smoke penetration. But others may have a different opinion ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

I found doing the same type of meat and using the same amount of pucks I have ended up with different smoke penetration. To me there doesn't seem to be any right or wrong way.

sanddancer

I joined the forum as I could not find answers to the same type of question while researching. I was told smoking after a certain meat temperature was a waste, can,t remember what it was. Others stated smoke through the cooking process. I will try the four hour rule mentioned on here.

whayek

Did this amount of time completely cook the butt? Or did you have to finish it off in oven? I am thinking about doing one but not sure how long to cook it. :)
Little Chief
Big Chief
(Current) Bradley Smoker

wyoduke

Quote from: sanddancer on May 09, 2011, 06:58:06 AM
I joined the forum as I could not find answers to the same type of question while researching. I was told smoking after a certain meat temperature was a waste, can,t remember what it was. Others stated smoke through the cooking process. I will try the four hour rule mentioned on here.
I have heard after 140 smoke will not penetrate the meat but cant tell you were i seen it
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill