smoke ring

Started by CLAREGO, May 12, 2011, 04:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

hey long time follower havent posted awhile.. anyways theres a discussion right now on facebook about geting a smoke ring on meat. dont get me wrong unless something change you will not get a smoke ring correct me if im wrong.... something change ?????????
i know you can produce a fake ring

3rensho

In a Bradley you won't get a ring - been discussed many times here.  Don't have a Facebook or Twitter account so can't follow (tried them both once but found them to be the very definition of vapid).
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

smoker pete

Here's a reply I posted when someone asked a question about a Pellet Grill vs. Bradley Smoker.  My reply focused on the smoke ring question.

Another factor is that the Bradley Smoker does not create a smoke ring.  Not to insult anyone but here is a good definition of a smoke ring:

In the world of barbecue the smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job and properly low and slow smoked the meat in question. Is particularly prized in smoked brisket. So what is it?

A smoke ring is a pink discoloration of meat just under the surface crust (called bark). It can be just a thin line of pink or a rather thick layer. A good smoke ring is around 1/4 inch in thickness. The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

The Bradley does not have wood combustion.  The heating element allows the Bisquettes to create smoke by smoldering but never actually burn.

Just my 2 cents ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

mybad

Quote from: 3rensho on May 12, 2011, 04:33:31 AM
  Don't have a Facebook or Twitter account so can't follow (tried them both once but found them to be the very definition of vapid).
LOL...best thing I have read all day! ;)

FLBentRider

The only Bradley you can get a smoke ring with in the propane unit.

You can't taste a smoke ring, but you also can't convince the "smoke ringers" of that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

To add to smoker pete's post; the color is not produced by smoke; and it can be caused by any of the organic fuels such as wood, charcoal, propane and natural gas. You can obtain a pink (smoke) ring in your kitchen gas oven, if you leave the meat uncovered and use the low and slow method of cooking. You cannot obtain a pink ring if you use high roasting temperatures.

To create a fake smoke ring, many sprinkle Morton's TQ on their brisket. To me, sprinkling TQ to a rather thing cut, you may alter the taste of the beef.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smoker pete

Here's a little smoke ring on some ribs that I enjoyed for dinner last night  ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Hopefull Romantic

Some time ago I was able to produce a smoke ringe in the Bradley by adding a couple of lit charcoals in the smoker. I had placed them in a heavy metal plate and before any one starts I still remember the pictures of some one's burned Bradley the were posted.

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on May 13, 2011, 12:48:48 PM
Some time ago I was able to produce a smoke ringe in the Bradley by adding a couple of lit charcoals in the smoker. I had placed them in a heavy metal plate and before any one starts I still remember the pictures of some one's burned Bradley the were posted.

Hady

I remember when you did that, and you didn't burn your Bradley up. :) I was going to try that, but never got around to doing that. I was looking for the charcoal flavor, more the the ring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 13, 2011, 01:07:30 PM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on May 13, 2011, 12:48:48 PM

Hady

I remember when you did that, and you didn't burn your Bradley up. :) I was going to try that, but never got around to doing that. I was looking for the charcoal flavor, more the the ring.

Habs it has been a while since I did that but I remember that the charcoal flavor was evident in the taste because I meant to try that again but never got around to it.

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.