How to Get All the Meat into Casings from Your Vertical Stuffer

Started by anderson5420, December 24, 2011, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

I have a Sausagemaker 5 lb vertical stuffer, and when the piston is all the way down at the bottom, there is still quite a bit of meat under it.

My friend, who is a lot more clever with power tools than I, came up with this solution for me - a Starboard shim that gets placed on top of the meat when you fill the stuffer, then the piston contacts the shim, and all the meat, or almost all the meat, gets pushed out.

It has a nut embedded in epoxy in the center and I just screw a bolt into the nut to retrieve it when it is down at the bottom.

Works like a charm.

(This was really just a test to see if I remembered how to embed photos in a post!  But the shim is a great idea and worth sharing too!)
So many recipes, so little time!

CoreyMac

I have an older model of the same stuffer and I can get virtually all the meat out, you just have to crank the piston tight against the bottm of the container. Mine has metal gears though so you can put some good pressure on it.

Good mod though. very cool

viper125

Too much pressure and you'll be looking for new gears! I usually throw mine on some wax paper and cover with some more wax paper. Then roll out 1/4 inch thick and slice and smoke as a jerky. Comes out sooner and gives you a snack while checking out the mix. My grand kids wait on it. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

I have these 5 wiggly things on the end of my arm. They scoop the excess out and then help form it into a nice little test patty that I fry up just to make sure I like the mix I just made. I call them fingers!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 25, 2011, 09:33:05 AM
I have these 5 wiggly things on the end of my arm. They scoop the excess out and then help form it into a nice little test patty that I fry up just to make sure I like the mix I just made. I call them fingers!! ;D ;D

Too funny Chris!  ;D

I always looked forward to being all done and cleaned up, crack a beer, and fire the leftovers on the grill in patty form.

Then... I started using the 30 lb version of the Kirby Canon. Man... I have to work hard to get one patty outta that thing when I'm done! Geeezzzz... If I'm not carefull I'm gonna start losin' weight!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes