Butt questions

Started by Drac, May 16, 2011, 09:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Quote from: Drac on May 16, 2011, 09:17:04 AMWe will have 11 people here so would 2 butts work for this or would I need three? 

Go by weight, not volume.   ;)  The general concensus on a Google search says to allow for 1/2 to 3/4 lb per person on a pork butt.

Also, if you're planning on 4 hours of smoke be sure and change the water bowl at least once or you'll have partially burned pucks stacking up on each other.  I'd recommend replacing the small water bowl with a larger disposable aluminum 10x12 pan (or whatever size fits the bottom of the Bradley).  The water won't evaporate near as fast and there's plenty of room for all those discarded pucks.  Still change the water partway through the total cook.

Drac

Still debating on 2 or 3 (left overs for me ;D) and thought -

Are three butts too much meat for a four shelf?  I was thinking it maybe.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

squirtthecat

You can stand them on end and fit up to 4 in there.   But it will take a lonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg time to cook.

Drac

I decided to go with 2 butts one with Salt Lick clone and one with GP.

Got a triple batch made up since I need to get some new black pepper in and I'll keep it around for use since it smells good -

I remember seeing a post where some one used Gunshot as an injection and I was thinking of trying that.  Anyone remember it?  I can't find it in a search.

Jim

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Drac

Yep that's it.

Since I have the same injector about how many "fillings" did you use?

Thanks,
Jim

wyoduke

I think i filled it 4 times and just gave it half shots and moved it around still think this was the best one i made  ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Ka Honu

You guys must all shop at a different kind of store than I do.  When I buy a "chunk o'butt," it can be parts or whole - anywhere from 3 to 9+ pounds.  The number of pieces has no real meaning to me in calculating how much meat I need to cook.  I think it would be easier on questioners if we estimated required quantities in pounds rather than pieces. 

If someone says he's feeding 12 people I think it would be much more understandable to say something like, "I recommend ½ pound (or whatever) pulled pork per person. Yield from raw to finished product is about 50% so I'd get 12 pounds of butts for 6 pounds of pulled pork." That (to me) would be much clearer than saying he needs 2 or 3 or however many butts. 

Jes' sayin'.

Drac

Quote from: Ka Honu on May 24, 2011, 08:33:11 PM
You guys must all shop at a different kind of store than I do.  When I buy a "chunk o'butt," it can be parts or whole - anywhere from 3 to 9+ pounds.  The number of pieces has no real meaning to me in calculating how much meat I need to cook.  I think it would be easier on questioners if we estimated required quantities in pounds rather than pieces. 

If someone says he's feeding 12 people I think it would be much more understandable to say something like, "I recommend ½ pound (or whatever) pulled pork per person. Yield from raw to finished product is about 50% so I'd get 12 pounds of butts for 6 pounds of pulled pork." That (to me) would be much clearer than saying he needs 2 or 3 or however many butts. 

Jes' sayin'.

I'm just getting them from the butcher.  He says that they are 6-8# each so with two I will have 12-16# of pork.

I guess I'm confused on what seems to be a problem with planning with what a butcher says?

Jim

Ka Honu

All I meant to say (in my own wordy way) was that butt size varies considerably while the amount of pulled pork you need is more predictable.  Since you're feeding 11-12 people (if I remember right), you'd want about 12 pounds of butt to provide about 6 pounds of pulled pork.  Two 6-8 pound butts should be perfect and even provide a decent amount of leftovers. The same number of smaller butts might not work so it's more accurate and understandable to say "You need 12-15 pounds" rather than "You need 2 butts."

Drac

Quote from: Ka Honu on May 25, 2011, 09:11:13 AM
All I meant to say (in my own wordy way) was that butt size varies considerably while the amount of pulled pork you need is more predictable.  Since you're feeding 11-12 people (if I remember right), you'd want about 12 pounds of butt to provide about 6 pounds of pulled pork.  Two 6-8 pound butts should be perfect and even provide a decent amount of leftovers. The same number of smaller butts might not work so it's more accurate and understandable to say "You need 12-15 pounds" rather than "You need 2 butts."

Ok, my confusion.

BTW, how do you guys deal with all the giggles and snickering when talking about this?  You should have seen my wife and co-workers when discussing rubbing the butts, oiling the butts for the rub, shredding the butts, etc.

I feel like I'm back in valve maint class in the Navy (inside joke),

Jim

muebe

Quote from: Drac on May 25, 2011, 09:40:43 AM
All I meant to say (in my own wordy way) was that butt size varies considerably while the amount of pulled pork you need is more predictable.  Since you're feeding 11-12 people (if I remember right), you'd want about 12 pounds of butt to provide about 6 pounds of pulled pork.  Two 6-8 pound butts should be perfect and even provide a decent amount of leftovers. The same number of smaller butts might not work so it's more accurate and understandable to say "You need 12-15 pounds" rather than "You need 2 butts."

Ok, my confusion.

BTW, how do you guys deal with all the giggles and snickering when talking about this?  You should have seen my wife and co-workers when discussing rubbing the butts, oiling the butts for the rub, shredding the butts, etc.

Jim

Make them a nice large plate of pulled pork sandwiches and present it to them. Then immediately take the plate away and say "If you cannot be adults about it then you gals cannot eat any of it!!!! Smoked food is very serious eats!!" :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

Quote from: Drac on May 25, 2011, 09:40:43 AM
Ok, my confusion.
BTW, how do you guys deal with all the giggles and snickering when talking about this?  You should have seen my wife and co-workers when discussing rubbing the butts, oiling the butts for the rub, shredding the butts, etc.
Jim
One would think they would appreciate a good oiled butt rub! ;) :D