4 Butts in the OBS

Started by Sorce, May 26, 2011, 08:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Can it be done? I'm doing pulled pork for a work outing and need to cook 4 of them. I can always do them on separate days, just wondering if it's possible to fit 4 of them in the OBS. Last time I checked sams it seemed the average weight for 2 was around 17 lbs. Just wondering if I should even try to fit them all in or just accept that I'm going to have to smoke them 2 at a time.

Hopefull Romantic

I would do them in twos. They would probably take for ever cooking together.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

You could fit 4 if you stood them on end, but you'd probably be looking at 30 hours of cooking time..

Like HR, I would do them in the Bradley in pairs.

Ka Honu

If I were going to do all four at once, I'd definitely consider using the oven after the smoke ran out.

FLBentRider

I've done four butts in the OBS a few times.

You have to be creative to get them all in there, most of the time its two-to-a-rack standing on the cut edge, one on each rack may end up touching the rack above.

Like this

or this

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

When I do butts I bone them out and then cut them sort-of flat. I can get two to a rack. One more item. Check to make sure that no flavor enhancers have been added. The only place around here I can get butts that have not be pre-injected is Publix.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phlyfisher

I'm lookin' at smokin' 4 butts this week as well. Are there any guidelines about rotating the racks? I assume that the butts closest to the heating element will come up to temp a little faster than the ones above it, correct?

When you "finish" cooking meat in the oven, do you use "convection bake" or just regular "bake." I think convection gets a more even temperature throughout the oven, but I worry that the moving air might dry out the meat a little bit.

FLBentRider - what was your total cook time when you did 4 butts all at once?

Habanero Smoker

I've never smoke/cook four at a time, but when I want to get two on a rack, I truss them up with cooking twine. That often helps them fit on the racks a little better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: Phlyfisher on June 14, 2011, 11:24:54 PM
FLBentRider - what was your total cook time when you did 4 butts all at once?

I've done them in as little as 18 and as much as 30

Probably average around 20 hours.

The one time I put them in the oven on convection the bark was too hard and chewy, I use regular bake.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Indy Smoker

I usually do only 2 at a time.  I have done 4 at once only one time and was not thrilled with the results.  I recommend doing them in pairs - that's what I do now.  As far as time goes when I do 2 it usually takes 24-26 hours, so I plan accordingly.  I read posts where people have them done in 8 hours and I don't quite understand. 
Make sure you use a probe thermometer and remember, they're done when they're done and not before

Phlyfisher

Flbentrider- what kind of rub do you have on that meat? All of the rub recipes I use and have read about are all pretty paprika-heavy. Yours looks like it's coated in molasses or soy sauce or something  ;D

Anyone have any opinions on rotating the racks while cooking? I imagine the resulting heat loss might negate an benefit you might get from rotating the racks anyway.

Thanks for all the help!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Phlyfisher on June 15, 2011, 10:40:57 AM
Flbentrider- what kind of rub do you have on that meat? All of the rub recipes I use and have read about are all pretty paprika-heavy. Yours looks like it's coated in molasses or soy sauce or something  ;D

I'm not sure which rub that it in those pics. I did do some with a molasses slather once, so those could be it. It could be Bad Byron's butt rub, or the Alton Brown rub.

I rotate racks top to bottom and front to back when I empty/refill the water bowl at the four hour mark, and then again 6 or 8 hours later.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

depending on the size of each butt  and total of all , I  would load up to 30 lbs no more of meat and go from there and allow for stall time, it may take 24 to 30 hours though i did 18 lbs of brisket in 16 hours