Cleaning the smoker

Started by Dalby Spook, November 12, 2006, 08:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi

The BS manual advises cleaning the smoker out regularly. Do they mean every bit of smoke residue back down to the bare metal? If so what with?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

owrstrich

other than cleaning the drip tray and cleaning the racks and wiping down the door seal with water... my smoker aint never been sanatized and it aint ever gonna get sanitized... it aint called seasoned for nothing...

your gotts toos eats...

johnny owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

There is a lot in the Bradley Manual I still havn't figured out.  Like O said above.  You may also want to carefully clean the reflector on the heater bulb once in a while if it get real grungy it seems to slow temp response.  The puck burner just needs a metal brushing every great while to keep build up off and surface contact good.  The vent is a pain. If you put a longer screw on you can lift it up just enough to wipe it off and keep the creosote under control.  I found that Dawn Power Desolver makes clean up pretty easy.  Actually gets the good stuff out of the corners of the racks and the drip tray baked on drips come off real nice.  Not sure about the non-stick racks.  The coating is coming off mine and only used a half dozen times. Not sure what I would have done wrong. You may see the seasoning come loose when it builds up good.  This seems to follow a smoke with a lot of moisture (chicken). Just knock the loose stuff off and it will repair itself pretty nicely with use.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

Hi DS,

This post gives quite a few good hints on cleaning in general. The inside of the smoker itself is generally something that doesn't need a great deal of attention unless food is spilt or it starts flaking after a while.

Other bits do need a bit of TLC, for example giving the door seal and corresponding area on the door frame a wipe with a damp cloth is good practice. The vent needs a bit of attention from time to time as does the smoke generator but reference below should give you some idea, post back with any other questions you may have.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1772.0
Manxman

Dalby Spook

Thanks for the link Manx. Some good stuff in there.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

EDinNB

I know this topic is 6 years old, but, if I had not found it, I'd be scrubbing my stainless interior till it looked right out of the box. 

it pays to take the time and use the search feature ... yes folks it works :)

EDinNB

beefmann

use the K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Silly

do a basic cleaning on the interior to remove excess build up and grease once in a while as needed ... and  leave the seasoning... as for all the  racks, v tray, catch bowl after  each  use

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: EDinNB on May 24, 2011, 07:59:10 AM
I know this topic is 6 years old, but, if I had not found it, I'd be scrubbing my stainless interior till it looked right out of the box. 

it pays to take the time and use the search feature ... yes folks it works :)

EDinNB

It may pay bigger dividend if you also search the Recipe Site  :)

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

EDinNB

I d/l and installed the recipe database today, now I've got em at my fingertips when I need em... and bookmarked the FAQ as well...

EDinNB

12AMNSX

Here's what works for me:

Racks
Put them in the sink with very hot water, enough to cover them completely, and dishwasher soap (not dish soap like Joy or Dove etc. but what you put in your dish washer).  Let soak for at least an hour.  Rinse them using an abrasive sponge to get off whatever is left sticking to them.  Place them in dishwasher.  

V tray
I use heavy duty oven cleaner from Costco called ProForce on the top side.  This stuff is industrial strength and works great.  Scrape anything that sticks after the oven cleaner.  Make sure all the slots and holes are open and clear.  I don't bother with the bottom side at all.

Water Dish
I use the oven cleaner on this as well.

Bottom Tray
Is made from aluminum so DO NOT use oven cleaner on it.  I just occasionally wash it in the sink and then put it in the dishwasher.

Rubber Gasket
I wipe this down with a rag using Simple "Soilent" Green.  Non toxic and guts the grease well.

Exterior
I use Simple Green to clean the exterior as well.

Interior Sides
I never touch this unless there is a big goober ready to fall off on my food.    :o

Heating Pad
I occasionally clean this off with fine sandpaper.

Heating Element
I just check it and the cover occasionally to make sure no food particles have fallen onto them.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: 12AMNSX on May 28, 2011, 11:55:36 AM
Here's what works for me:

V tray
I use heavy duty oven cleaner from Costco called ProForce on the top side.  This stuff is industrial strength and works great.  Scrape anything that sticks after the oven cleaner.  Make sure all the slots and holes are open and clear.  I don't bother with the bottom side at all.

I spray the V-tray with some Pam prior to smoking. It helps alot and makes cleaning much easier.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

If you get some flaking on the interior, just take a wad of newsprint and give it a light rub to knock the flakes off. Don't scrub it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.