Garlic

Started by Mikey, October 14, 2005, 07:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Hey I spoke to a guy at work today who has a buddy that smokes his own salmon. He wont give away the recipe but he does say that he puts a head of garlic in with his wood chips in his little chief. I thought I would try putting a couple of cloves on the first bisquette. I'm not sure how it would turn out. I dont know how much flavour you would get off of it and I dont think you would want it to burn because that might give it an off taste, but I think the 20 minute burn wouldnt burn it anyway. Has anyone tried this, apparently it makes one Heck of a smoked salmon.

tsquared

New one on me, but what the heck, give it a try!
T@

psdubl07

Have you used Kummok's recipe? (Posted as sticky at top of this forum)  When I bring some to a party, everyone tells me it's the best SS they've ever had, and I agree! (I do add about a 1/2 Tablespoon of a secret spice to his brine, but it's good without it as well.)
I can't imagine it getting much better, but let us know how the garlic thing turns out.

car54

If you want to see 10 pounds of salmon disappear real quick make it Kummok's way

Brad

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />If you want to see 10 pounds of salmon disappear real quick make it Kummok's way

Brad
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you want to see <b>ANY</b> amount of salmon disappear real quick make it Kummok's way....................and send it to me![;)][:D][:D]

The garlic thing, I'd be concerned about it burning. Burnt garlic sucks.[xx(] Maybe soak the cloves in olive oil for a day??? Wouldn't it be easier to include the garlic in your marinade?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Mikey

Well I tried the garlic thing and I never really got any flavour from it, so I'm not sure just what this guy was doing. I personally like a brine that only compliments the flavour of the salmon. I think the first flavour you should get when you bite into a piece of smoked salmon is of course smoke, and then a mild sweet salmon flavour. I dont like it if you get too much of a distict ingredient taste. I know some guys up in Alaska that just do a strictly salt brine and then cold smoke thier salmon for several weeks until its like jerky, but I personally like everything that is smoked to have a mild sweetness to it. I was told by the guy who knows the guy who cooks the garlic with his wood that it gives the salmon a roasted garlic flavour, but I didnt get that. The garlic didnt burn but it also never gave off any flavour. I think I will stick to my recipe, but I had to try it, ya never know.

ritzdeliman

Mikey, maybe you could try a wet brine if you don't already, and dry as per usual before smoking, then rub some roasted garlic on before finishing. Maybe this would give you the final result that you are looking for. I will give it a try myself as I have a batch of fish going on this weekend. Let me know what happens. ritzdeliman

JJC

I haven't tried Kummock's salmon yet, though EVERYONE who has tried it raves about it.  I use a different brine (it's on the stickied recipe forum the Olds runs) that includes a healthy amount of minced garlic in it.  The flavor is great and no one ingredient is overpowering.  Using garlic as a "wood chip" seems odd, but including it in the brine works great!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA