Cold smoked Gravlox

Started by KyNola, June 02, 2011, 09:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I have some fresh King Salmon fillets thanks to Whole Foods.  Two of those are going to be made into cold smoked gravlox.  The first step is to cure the fillets.  The curing rub is really quite basic. 1 and 1/2 tbsp of kosher salt combined with 1 tbsp of brown sugar.  Rub it all on both sides of the fillets, skin on. Next the flavoring rub is up to you. This particular one is a combination of fresh lemon zest, crushed allspice berries, black and white peppercorns. It also has a tablespoon of cognac poured on the fillet.

Do the exact same thing to the second fillet.  Now, on top of the first fillet fresh cilantro and flat leaf parsley has been added.

Place the second fillet meat side down on top of the first fillet, tail to head, head to tail sandwiching the fresh herbs in between.

Tightly wrap the entire package of salmon in several layers of plastic wrap as this will throw off a lot of liquid.  Place on a half sheet pan and place in the frig for 36 hours or so.  Place another half sheet pan on top and weight it down.  Mine has a large cast iron skillet on it.

More to come later.  If you want the exact recipe let me know and I will post it here.

Hopefull Romantic

Larry, with the exception of the parsley, I think that is going to be great.

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Thanks Hady.  I have made this recipe before and it has a very aromatic taste to it.  I made this once and took it a friend of mine who is a trained chef for him to give me his opinion.  He called his sous chef out of the restaurant kitchen to taste it too.  They both said they would serve it in their restaurant any day.

squirtthecat

Whole Foods and Cognac!   Somebody robbed a bank......    :D

Hopefull Romantic

Larry I am definitely going to keep an eye on this post and start thinking about a parsley substitute and will try that.

Hady

KyNola

Hady,
Just omit the parsley and maybe use a little additional cilantro or any other fresh herb.  Chives would work or chervil.

OU812

Now that sounds gooood.

My oldest son works at Whole Paycheck,,, I mean,,, Whole Foods, kind of a different croud in there.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on June 02, 2011, 10:54:38 AM
Hady,
Just omit the parsley and maybe use a little additional cilantro or any other fresh herb.  Chives would work or chervil.

Larry I was thiking more in terms of dill but (as it was said in another post) I am still opem.

Hady

ghost9mm

Larry it really looks good, I showed this to my wife and she had a big smile on her face and said we need to try that , she would sooner eat salmon then any piece of steak...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Hady, dill would be awesome.  In fact I meant to cut some and put it in there.  Oops!

G9, let me know how I can help with this.  If your wife likes gravlox I have several diferent flavor rub recipes that work with gravlox.

hal4uk

I like cilantro and Italian parsley!!!
Watching to see what happens next...

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby