Big Tex Steakhouse, Amarillo review

Started by ronbeaux, June 06, 2011, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Left home at 0400 and 14 hours later made it to Amarillo, Tx. Checked into a hotel and asked the desk dude was the Big Tex open? "Of course" he said. "Would you like me to call a limo to bring you there?" Uhh, well, uhh. "IT's free," I said OK!!

So I slip back up to the room and tell the Mrs she needs to be ready in 30 minutes, I got a surprise for her. The look on her face was classic when the limo with the 'Boss Hog' bull horns showed up and asked if we were the ones needing the limo. She was gushing, and plotting her bragging technique to pizz off all her girl friends back home. I was being real cool like and not saying nothing.

I got busted though cause she found out it was free ::)

This is the home of the 'Free 72 oz steak.'  But you have to eat all of it including the side salad and the baked potato, and do it in less than 1 hour. Otherwise it will cost you $72.00

There was no way I was going to try it and we both settled on the 12oz ribeye. This is usually a bad idea to eat a steak at a restraunt because I like mine better but it wasn't that bad. The service was good, the atmosphere was good, the people were friendly, and we had a great time.

While we were there a person was giving the 72oz a try. He had 20 minutes left when he gave up. Epic fail because he was not even half way through and still hadn't touched the potato or the salad. By the way, the current record for finishing the monster is 8 minutes and 52 seconds :o :o :o

The guy in the picture looks like he might be 180lbs!!

Red River is only a 6 hour drive from here so tomorrow will be sweet compared to the azz time I spent today!!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KyNola

Ka Honu

Through no fault of my own I ended up in Amarillo one night in May '83.  Ate at the Big Texan.  As ron says, good fun & decent food but neither was good enough to ever get me to go back to Amarillo.

hal4uk

Good move.

When you take a bet that someone spent a lot of time thinking up to separate you from your money...
Well...  Can't be good.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

NePaSmoKer

Thats cool

Seems allot of us have eaten there.

ghost9mm

You can count my wife and I as some that have eaten there, at least four times...and no we didn't even think about that 72 oz steak, we did watch a truck driver try to eat it , but he failed...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OldHickory

The wife and I were there  three maybe four times in the mid 90's and it was always fun.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.