smokin' in seattle

Started by Mardib, June 06, 2011, 10:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardib

Hello all - i just got a Bradley smoker in hopes of makin' bacon for my son.  He's autistic and on a specific carbohydrate diet that limits any refined sugar.   i was pointed to this forum and specifically to 10.5 as a bacon makin' master.   I am hoping to make a bacon by brining the pork belly in honey or stevia and salt. 

if you have any suggestions, please let me know!  the fresh pork belly comes in to the butcher on Wednesday.     

thanks, mardi

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mardib;

Have you every used stevia?

I'm asking because many people can taste a metallic/bitter after taste when they use that product. I'm one of those people. If you haven't used it you may want to sample a small amount before using it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

Welcome!  I've used honey, salt and cure.  I'm no expert, everything I've learned came from this site and their recipe site susanminor.org. (done up 30lbs this past month) I know someone will come along to help but might need a bit more info on if you plan to use cure.

beefmann

welcome aboard .. sorry i cant be of any  help . though lots of good people and information here

Shasta bob

Welcome aboard the smoke wagon, it sure good to see more west coasters.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Mardib

thanks for the tip!  i think i am going to start with honey and/or coconut sugar.   we've planted stevia in our garden but i have only had it in soda, not in any baked goods.   will report back!

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!

Somebody informed you wrong. I am not a bacon making master. I just found a good recipe and technique and have made it a bunch of times. I am still learning every day so I have not mastered anything yet.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ghost9mm

Welcome to the forum, and if you follow the directions of Chris. aka 10.5 you will have good success with your bacon makin.. :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill