Ham

Started by cathouse willy, June 06, 2011, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I just took an 11lb pork back leg shank end out of the freezer, I"m thinking  2 days to thaw and then Habaneros's recipe for smoked ham.

[urlhttp://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?465-Smoked-Cured-Ham][/url]

It looks like dinner will be June 26. I hope I can stay focused for that long.

Habanero Smoker

I haven't made a ham in a while. Now you got me thinking of one. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

My 11lb pork leg after trimming is down to 8 1/2 lb. It's been respected detected inspected and injected and now is soaking in the brine. This is my first ham so I'm going to stick pretty close to Habanero's recipe with the exception of the Juniper berries. Here we go!

cathouse willy

The ham is mid way thru the cure time and I'm trying to coordinate things to serve it on June 26. The recipes says to wrap and age in the fridge for a least four days after smoking. My question is how long could it be be left to age before it spoils? would  8 days be too long?

Habanero Smoker

Eight days will not be a problem. Wrap it tight with plastic wrap, then with heavy duty foil, to cut down on the smoke smell that it may cause in the refrigerator. I would say there is no need to vacuum seal, but if it is not too big to fit an 11" bag I would do that; just to reduce any smoke smell in the refrigerator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

Habanero thanks for the speedy reply This makes the dinner schedule a go.Just of interest sake how long could you age a ham for and are there advantages to longer aging?

Habanero Smoker

Up to 14 days without a problem. To be truthful I have stored cured ham in the refrigerator for over 3 weeks while slicing it for sandwiches, dicing to add to dishes etc, but the recommended time frame is up to 14 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ka Honu

If you can't get juniper berries at a reasonable price, you can substitute with an ounce or so of decent gin.

Habanero Smoker

Yes! Gin is a good substitute. Two berries equal one teaspoon of gin. I keep meaning to add that substitution to my recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

The reason I avoided the Juniper was because of a decades old experience with the evil gin..... Never again

Habanero Smoker

I hear you. I can't stand the taste of gin, but the juniper berries really provide additional flavor to the ham. I sometimes use them when I make pastrami.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

So the ham went into the smoker on fri afternoon 18 hours later it looked like this.

I tried a tiny slice and it tastes mighty fine. It has a nice dark pink color. It will age in the fridge till june 26's family dinner.
Habenero that is a great recipe Thanks for posting it.
Bill

SiFumar

Excellent job! Let us know how it tastes after the aging. Maybe a pic of the slices too.

Smoking Alligator

I am following your steps.  I purchased a half ham with the bone 7 days ago. 2 days ago I brinned it with apple juice and spices.  I let it air dry for about two hours and went in the OBS for 3 hours Cherry Smoke.  I am letting it sit in the fridge again wraped in plastic until tomorrow, Fathers Day.  It looks right and smells fantastic, just had a doubt if it will be OK after being in the fridge for a whole week??

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bill;

Thanks. Maybe next time you will be brave enough to add the juniper berries.  :)

Smoking Alligator;
I also like fresh ham. Let us know how your brine worked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.