My Fathers Day smoke

Started by Sailor, June 19, 2011, 08:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Had a hankering for a Brisket.  Went shopping for a packer and came up empty.  So settled for a flat.  Yesterday morning a applied my dry rub (own recipe) and into a ZipLock bag for a 24 hr rest.  This morning put it in the Bradley and using 3 hours of Hickory.  Will be making my baked beans with left over pulled pork and homemade tater salad.   A call to CRG about how to do a flat without drying it out and it was decided to lay some of 10.5 maple cured bacon on top after the smoke to keep it moist.  Smoking at 205 to IT of about 180 and hoping that the flat will not be too dry.  CRG suggested to check Wally World out for the packers.  My Publix butcher buddy said he can't get the packers as they only send him flats. I will be sure to check out the local Wally World when I am in the area.

The flat

My Rub

All rubbed down

Ready for the overnight in the fridge.

Probes are in and ready to go into the Bradley.

Hickory a Rollin.  Note the CRG shield trick.  Using foil on a rack 1/3 covered and sloped to direct heat to the front.  Brisket is not touching walls so no worry of grease dripping down the walls.

Will post more pics later.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

beefmann

ghost9mm

Looks good to this point, will be watchin for the finish...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SamuelG

Can't wait for the $$$ shot!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

cly

2 probes?

Were using these with a PID?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm new to my DBS and PID.

Thanks!

Sailor

Sorry, no money shot.  The dinner location was changed from our house to our Nieces house and I have to take all the stuff over there and forgot the camera. 

The flat had a very long stall and I never thought that it would come out of it.  Got it FTC at 180 IT and took it over to the Nieces and only had about 1 hr FTC.  It came out nice and juicy and was finished to perfection.

The reason I have so many wires is that I am using a PID to control the cabinet temp and a probe for the IT.  I also have a Maverick that I use.  I probe two sides of the meat and probe the front and rear cabinet temp.  Just overkill but since I have them I use them.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

wthr_dude

I haven't done a brisket in a while I have been wanting to try a packer cut but have only done the flats so far with just ok results.  It may just be time for an experimental BBQ again.

I have also notice that mine get stuck around 130-140 and it seems to take forever for them to finish.  My last one came out pretty dry and I think it was due to the combination of the stalled out cooking temps and not much fat on the flat cut I had.

GusRobin

Quote from: wthr_dude on June 20, 2011, 08:23:42 AM

I have also notice that mine get stuck around 130-140 and it seems to take forever for them to finish.  My last one came out pretty dry and I think it was due to the combination of the stalled out cooking temps and not much fat on the flat cut I had.
the stall makes them tender. The dryness is probably due to being trimmed like flats usually are. Try adding some bacon above it when cooking it. What temp do you bring it to? Try about 180-185 then FTC with some liquid.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

Sorry that we don't have a money shot, but really glad to hear that everything came out OK..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill