Work in progress - Smoked cajun pistachios

Started by Whitey Jr, July 02, 2011, 10:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitey Jr

OK, so I took the lessons learned by Pensrock and did my own batch of smoked cajun pistachios. The wife dragged me to a shopping trip Sat morning, and I was pleased to find natural pistashios on sale at the Bulk Barn.  ;D  I grabbed .8KG and fired up the Bradley. Using the recipe posted by Pensrock as a baseline, and using what I had on-hand, this is what I ended up with:

.8kg natural pistachios
2 tblspn melted butter
2 tblspn juice from pickled jalapenos
2 tblspn wochestershire sauce
2 tblspn louisiana hot sauce
2 tblspn salt
2 tblspn home made cajun spice (paprika, garlic pwdr, cayenne, black pepper, onion pwdr)

I put the natural pistaschios inot a bowl:

Then added the ingrediants, starting with the wet ones all mixed together. Stir everything together and it looked like this:

Also taking a page from Pensrock's book, I looked to aluminum stationary baskets for improvised smoker baskets., I couldn't find any full-page sized ones like Pensrock, but these compartmentalized ones wer $1 each at the dollar store and seemed to work fine:

Into the BDS with a stack of Apple in the chamber at 190-200 for 2 hours.  Here's the result:

Turned out pretty good, although I think I'll tweak the spices a bit next time (maybe half the wochestershire, and a little more pickled jalapeno juice). I became addicted to pistaschios over the last few years during my frequent motorcycle/camping trips, and I hope to start supplying my own by the end of the bike season up here.

-Whitey Jr

squirtthecat

Brilliant idea on those baskets!

pensrock

looks good, I also put mine into the dehydrator for a couple hours to help crisp them back up.

Keymaster

Looks good, I love pistachios except them tricky ones that aint split yet and you can't getem open ;D ;D

iceman

Those look great WJ. How was the heat level?

ghost9mm

This time of the year I eat a whole bunch of pistachios while sittin out under a shade tree, and the ones I can't open I feed to the squirrels, I will have to try that recipe...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Whitey Jr

Quote from: iceman on July 06, 2011, 06:17:33 AM
Those look great WJ. How was the heat level?

Heat level was good. Not overpowering, but strong enough to immidiately let you know what you're eating is spicy. I like things a little spicier than most, so I was going to try and up the jalapeno juice next time.

-Whitey Jr

rdevous

For 1.76208 pounds (.8kg) of pistachios you used 2 tblspn and Pensrock used 6 tblspn of jalapeno juice for 2 pounds!!!  Pensrock has to have an asbestos tongue and a stainless steel toilet!!!  As Jim Carey would say "Thatsa spicy meattaball!!!"

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

pensrock

I would still like them hotter, but they had very good taste.  Next time I'll add more cayenne.  ;D
They dissappeared very fast.  :)

Whitey Jr

I thought the jalapeno-pickle juice was genius. I'll also kick mine up a bit next time around (more jalapeno pickle juice and more cayenne). It is a work in progress, so I might try a few other things too.

-Whitey Jr

pensrock

I got the basic recipe from a post by seemore. Then adapted it to my tastes.