Heat Problems - Round #2

Started by thoswo, June 15, 2011, 02:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoswo

Hi All,

I posted for first time on Monday, although I may have done so in wrong spot (Heat Reg - Help...was inadvertently posted under Intro Yourself).  All were helpful, so thank you. 

That said, I am still having problems with heat regulation in my 3 month old OBS.  After reviewing previous posts, I ran some tests on pre-heating.  Last night, after an hour of wait time, I was at only 80 degrees.  Thought maybe I had the heat sensor button too far to right, i.e., dead spot, so I strated over.  I turned off, unplugged, re-set heat sensor to far left,let cool off....and then moved heat sensor 80% to the right (to avoid potential dead spot)...then waited 1:15 to see heat get to only 125 degrees.  The temperatures both times were accurate as I borrowed a neighbors smoking thermometer to check interal oven / smoker temp.  I also kept it out of the wind.  It was about 55 degrees outside.

I guess the bottom line is I am wondering if this is mostly user error of if I perhaps have a defective heat element on my OBS.  Also, it sounds like there are a fair number of issues relating to the OBS heating element, maintaining temp, etc...does anyone suggest another Bradley Smoker where there could be less heat related problems?   

Thank you,  Thoswo

Tenpoint5

No sense in going out and purchasing another Bradley Model. Yours will work just fine. You may have one of the faulty heating elements that are floating around out there. It sounds like the heat is all coming from your Smoke Generator. I would suggest calling Bradley Customer service 1-800-665-4188. They will get you straightened out and up and running again
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Just to make sure we're are talking about the same parts, what you are calling the heat sensor is called the heat control switch. The heat sensor is a small disc; about the size of a fifty cent piece which is located inside your cabinet. It is a safety device that will shut off the power to the element if the cabinet temperature gets too hot.

Don't worry about the dead spot, that is not an issue with the newer models and may not have been an issue with the earlier ones.

Here is a link that is often helpful:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chrisj8221

I would check to make sure the heat element is working.  i just called the 1-800 below and i guess they have had a few with some problems.  they were very helpful!