OBS Teriyaki Beef Jerky Nuggets

Started by muebe, June 13, 2011, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

Thanks guys, I don't think I have a Vons so I'll try wallyworld.

JF7FSU

I never thought of reapplying sauce after smoking.  Interesting.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

SnellySmokesEm

Mueb - So if I read this right you did NOT use a dehydrator for this batch?  What is this convection fan you speak of and how does it work?  I want to make jerky nuggets and I dont have a dehydrator. 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

muebe

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on July 18, 2011, 12:01:56 PM
Mueb - So if I read this right you did NOT use a dehydrator for this batch?  What is this convection fan you speak of and how does it work?  I want to make jerky nuggets and I dont have a dehydrator. 

Here are the pics of my convection fan mod in my OBS. It moves the air in the cabinet causing very even temps and drying. I did not need to rotate any racks

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SnellySmokesEm

Gotcha... Thanks...  Is there a poor man version of this? 
BBQ Evangelist

muebe

Well I paid $30 for the fan off of e-bay used. It is a fan for a fridgidaire convection oven. You can dehydrate in your smoker without a fan. You just gotta keep the temps from 145f to 160f and rotate the racks every 30 minutes. No water pan and vent wide open.

You can do it in your house oven as long as it can keep those lower temps.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

One of these thingys will turn your smoker into a dehydrator.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/vent-power-11512volt.aspx

Just dont put it on the smoker till after the smoke is done.

But for the price I would buy a dehydrator.

DTAggie

Muebe, did you use a whole bottle of the soy vay?  What is a good amount of pepper for 5 lbs to kick it up a bit? 

muebe

Quote from: DTAggie on July 18, 2011, 09:05:54 PM
Muebe, did you use a whole bottle of the soy vay?  What is a good amount of pepper for 5 lbs to kick it up a bit? 

Yes it takes entire small bottle. About half the bottle for the marinade and a 1/4 cup of water/cure #1 solution. And then the other half for re-applying the marinade for the finish.

I have been adding a teaspoon to the marinade so maybe a couple more depending on the strength of your pepper and how hot you like it. I like it really hot but need to be careful because I am not the only one who eats it. But I also sprinkle half of the batch with crushed red pepper after re-applying the marinade for that extra kick ;)

SnellySmokesEm

Ok, so this got me thinkin'.  On my masterbuilt I have a hole on the side where I insert the chip loader to add more chips.

Could I place a fan there and blow air thru the smoker and act as a convection fan and blow out the moisture?
BBQ Evangelist

muebe

Well you are going to want something that circulates the air and not draws outside air in otherwise your smoker is going to be struggling to keep the proper temps....

So you could put a fan like I have in there. You would need to make a metal plate to cover the hole and have a small hole in the plate for your fan spindle to go through. Then the fan would mount to the outside of the smoker. A simple switch could control the fan.

The fan would also improve your smoker's cooking ability by making it convection. The air will be circulated in the cabinet and naturally make it's way up and out the vent due to natural heat rise.

The reason why I chose the fan I am using is because the fan is designed to run for long periods in a extreme heat environment, has just the right rpm for proper circulation, the fan is designed to circulate the air against the cabinet wall, and is a slim design.

Now just to locate the proper fan...

Here is a new one for $45 on flea-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WHIRLPOOL-OVEN-CONVECTION-FAN-MOTOR-W10167917-/170648825266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bb766db2#ht_879wt_1270

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks mueb!  I think I am going to do a trial run with the smoker "as is" and go from there.  Shoot maybe I should just by a dehydrator??
BBQ Evangelist

muebe

Well a good dehydrator will cost you at least $70 or more...

$45 for a fan and some of your time will make your Masterbuilt smoker a convection smoker and dehydrator. Those fans are always being sold on flea bay and you might find one used for half the price if you keep looking ;D

OldHoss

I gotta get me some of that Say Vay stuff.  A little searching is in order here I believe - those pictures are just too bloody good.
If you have it - smoke it.

mhiykmeel63

So you can mix the cure with water and add it to the marinade? Then reapply  when going from the smoker to the dehydrator, right?