• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need advice on my first turkey.....

Started by mrdennisg, October 18, 2005, 06:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdennisg

Hey guys hope the smokin is goin good for ya all.

The smoker I built is getting a good workout the inside has that beautiful golden color, convection fan keeps the temp even top to bottom =/- a deg or two. Still working on door latch design.The temp controller works perfect  from 50 to 300 deg.

The big smoke thanksgiving just need a few test runs....

I will start my test with 2 turkeys and then move up to 2 turkeys and 2 hams at the same time. I think I better buy a couple more temp probs.

First I need your help with something,  I was asked to smoke 2 14 lb. (aprox weight)turkeys and have them ready for a big lunchen for the Grange hall on Monday the 24th.  I was hoping to have them done the day before and then have the ladies re-heat it in one of those tabletop ovens .

Does this sound doable and if so will it still be moist?

I plan on brining for 12 hrs then use the Olds T-shirt method
Olds, do I soak the shirt in vinagar or put on dry?

I need the turkeys at the hall in the am so wanted to pull out the nite before if possible.

jaeger

mrdennisg,
Smoked turkey is awesome!
I don't think 12 hours is long enough to brine unless you pump the turkeys first. Poultry takes on the salt taste from the brine more than beef or pork. I would go heavy on the water in your recipe if you have not tried it before.
Another word of awareness. If you net the turkeys and smoke, when they are done the cavity will hold quite a bit of liquid. Be prepared to dump the cavity out before cooling properly.
Other than that, I don't see any problem. Don't overcook to begin with, and the reheat should be a snap. Pretty much reheat the same way you would a smoked ham.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

mrdennisg

I was thinking 12 hours because I didn't want to be too salty. The turkeys say 8 percent solution, so if I do 24 hrs would it still be too salty?

Oldman

mrdennisg,

I've always put it on dry. Next, when I was a young man I managed Church's Fried Chicken. If the bird was whole and not cut up we use to do a marination of 24 to 30 hours max. The solution was reasonable salty.

Next here a trick for ya... add just enough MSG to your salt solution so when you taste the solution it just begins to feel a little slick in your mouth--no more than that. Now what the MSG does is it kick into high gear the bacteria and those little dudes will mine tunnels through out the bird. Thus your marinate will get further into the bird.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

mrdennisg,
I've always marinated turkeys for at least 24 hours.
When I pump turkey it is at 10 percent. 8 precent or 10 percent doesn't matter if the brine is to strong to begin with. That is why I say to go heavy on the water in your mixture.
Also, be sure to rinse the turkey well and  soak in clean cold water for at least an hour after the brine. This applies to any whole muscle item that you are brine curing or dry rub cure.
I would recommend a sample run before smoking a bunch of turkeys for the luncheon.[;)]
Keep us posted with any more questions and let us know how this works out.[8D][:)][8D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">