Gonna try a brisket

Started by DADAKOTA, June 11, 2011, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

Got me about a 9 pound brisket.  Put some rub on it and a light slather of cym.  My plan is to Roll 4 hours of hickory at a temp of 225 till an IT of 185-190.  Then FTC till it is time to slice.

How long will this hunk of cow flesh take to get to an IT of 185-190?  Is there any problem with putting an aluminum drip tray one rack under the brisket to catch the drippings?  What is the minimum FTC time?

Thanks for the answers.  Love to take some pics but the SD card won't stay locked in the camera.

GusRobin

I do 12-14 lbs full packer briskets and they usually take about 18-22 hours. If it is a flat it should take less. I always put a couple of small bread pans on the lowest shelf to catch drippings. I usually start with an inch or so of some type of juice in them to keep it from drying out.
I would FTC for at least 2 hours.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

What Gus said...he nailed it ...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

DADAKOTA

Brisket was good, but not great.  Never got the IT above 180, and pulled it agter 15 1/2 hours.  FTCd for 2.  Overall the brisket was moist and tender, but I anticipated a smokier flavor.  I did 4 hours of smoke.  My drip pan under the brisket went almost wall to wall.  I wonder if it forced some of the smoke around the brisket and out.  My only other complaint was the end of the point that did not have a fat cap had about 1/4 inch layer of of meat that was so dried out it was inedible.  The meat on top was quite most.  Must have had it pointed toward the heat element I guess.  The bark really softened up in the FTC.  Lots of fat under the bark.  Might have been better off trimming it more.  Folks I fed the brisket to thought it was quite tasty.  Buttermilk onion rings were to die for.

OU812

The drip pan probably kept the smoke to the sides and passed right by the brisket.

Try to keep the pan a couple racks below what your smokin and not so big of a pan.

I dont put the drip pan in till after the smoke time is done.

Good to here the brisket turned out moist for ya.

Them dried out pieces of meat I'll chop up and put in a pot of beans.