Almost Perfect.....

Started by JoeKS, June 20, 2011, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeKS

Smoked 2 racks for fathers day. Prep. was the same for both. Cut both  racks in half to fit in smoker. First 2 half racks  tasted great but texture just ok. When we went for the 3rd half rack the meat absolutely was 100% awesome. So tender and well...perfect. The 4th half rack was the same as the first 2 just ok.  I did notice the bones on the perfect half rack were much more flat and smaller then the other 3 half racks eventhough it had have come from one of the racks I cut.

So 2 racks cut in half and smoked and only one really stood out, plus the bone makeup was different.

Is this common?

richardvoyageur

Quote from: JoeKS on June 20, 2011, 07:08:41 PM
Smoked 2 racks for fathers day. Prep. was the same for both. Cut both  racks in half to fit in smoker. First 2 half racks  tasted great but texture just ok. When we went for the 3rd half rack the meat absolutely was 100% awesome. So tender and well...perfect. The 4th half rack was the same as the first 2 just ok.  I did notice the bones on the perfect half rack were much more flat and smaller then the other 3 half racks eventhough it had have come from one of the racks I cut.

So 2 racks cut in half and smoked and only one really stood out, plus the bone makeup was different.

Is this common?

Did you rotate your racks throughout the cooking process?  Did you use the 3-1-1/3-2-1 method or something else?
Sell the sizzle and the steak