How many LBS with the 3-2-1?

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, June 22, 2011, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

I know when doing butts, the more weight you have in the smoker, the longer it takes to cook. What kind of weight is the max for 3-2-1 method? If I fill all 6 racks with ribs would it be a 4-3-2?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Or maybe 3-3-2, just make sure the meat is pulled back from the bone 1/4" before you pull outta the foil.

And with a full load like that you should rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back, like after the first 3 then after the second 3.

GusRobin

I would say it depends. If you have a second element and a PID you should be holding the desired temp for the most part of the cook regardless how much heat the meat is soaking up. More so with ribs rather then a big mass like a butt. So I would say that it would be closer to the 3-2-1.
But again I don't time my meals that tight so I don't fret an hour or so either way as long as I have enough adult beverages to tide me over. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Bigbirdoffroad

I don't have the dual element mod but I do have a PID. I guess I'll plan on 1 1/2 hours of FTC after they are done, This way if it does take 3-2-2 or 3-2-3 I can just omit the FTC and eat right out of the cabinet.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

squirtthecat