Corned beef cut?

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, June 28, 2011, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

What cut are you guys using for corned beef and pastrami? Brisket is the normal cut from what I thought. I just saw an old Julia Childs show and she used Bottom Round and Chuck Roast.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

squirtthecat

Eye of Round works quite well.    That's the store bought CB that I pick up to turn into pastrami...   Very lean.

OU812

I use the flat from a brisket, trim all the fat before curing.

Have used the bottom round and eye of round but most of the time the brisket is cheeper.

Habanero Smoker

I prefer the flat, for it's texture. If you like a lot of marbling, then the point will be a good choice, though I have never seen that cut sold seperately fresh. I've also used chuck roast and eye of round; they make a more tender corned beef or pastrami (especially the eye of round) and I only take the round cuts to 145°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bigbirdoffroad

I'm thinking on using bottom round. It would probally make better sized slices for sammies. Whaddya Think?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

OU812

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on June 28, 2011, 01:35:45 PM
I'm thinking on using bottom round. It would probally make better sized slices for sammies. Whaddya Think?

I say go for it.

Makes for a fine sammie.

watchdog56

I have used corned beef brisket a couple of times and it comes out great.

Habanero Smoker

Any of the boneless shoulder cuts will work. The bottom round would be a good choice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)