Prime Rib

Started by ETHIKILL, June 30, 2011, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ETHIKILL

I initially was planning on smoking a big brisket for last weekend's get together, but couldn't find a decent sized brisket.  We then thought about roast beef but I got a screaming deal on prime rib and picked up 2 4+lbers for the OBS.  Put a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder on them and wrapped for an overnight sit.  Popped them both in the OBS with some apple.  Planned on 2 hours of smoke and probably another 2 hours of heat, but they had other plans.  Pulled both around the 2.5 hour mark with ITs of 130, then FTC'd for another 2 hours or so.  Then they got trimmed and fed to the slicer.  We had prime rib au jou sammies on delicious fresh rolls from the Italian People's Bakery with provolone and a horseradish mayo spread.  Sorry I don't have pictures of the samwiches and fixins but these went FAST.  I will be smoking prime rib again and slicing thick for dinner.  This was my first prime rib smoke and it was awesome!

muebe

That meat looks great! ;D They both finished in just 2.5 hours? :o If so then WOW! What temp was the OBS at?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ETHIKILL

OBS was hovering around 225.  Outside temp was in the high eighties.  I did not expect to have them done so fast.  I went out to turn the smoke generator off after 2 hours and the bigger of teh 2 was pretty much already done.  I pulled it and the smaller guy went for anotehr half hour.  Both were ridiculously good.  I was a little worried about cooking prime rib for the first time for a party, but it went perfect.

ghost9mm

Now !!! that really looks good, just the way I like it... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

OK,,,,Now I'm really hungry!

That pile of beef looks grrrreat.

Slap me some of that on a hogie with a couple slabs of provalone and some onions, green peppers and shrooms and I would be a happy camper.

muebe

Quote from: ETHIKILL on June 30, 2011, 02:04:32 PM
OBS was hovering around 225.  Outside temp was in the high eighties.  I did not expect to have them done so fast.  I went out to turn the smoke generator off after 2 hours and the bigger of teh 2 was pretty much already done.  I pulled it and the smaller guy went for anotehr half hour.  Both were ridiculously good.  I was a little worried about cooking prime rib for the first time for a party, but it went perfect.

Were you using the door thermometer to get your reading? If so then your cooking temp may have been higher than 225F and would explain how they finished so quickly. Still looks like they came out perfect though...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)