TriTip

Started by outnumbered, May 23, 2011, 02:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outnumbered

I have never smoked a tritip before so want to hear from some people that have. What is the best way? I have done briskets before and slathered the out side with mustard to make a perfect bark, will this work with a tritip? With Memorial day this weekend my local shop has them on sale for $2.47LB. After I smoke them can I vacuum seal them and freeze them and will they still taste good. That is what I have done to the briskets and they reheated great. Thanks for the help. Jason

beefmann

have done  several tri tips my  process is

trim excess fat.. leave 3/ 16 ti 1/4 inch ...

apply a light to medium coating of  each

paprika
granulated garlic
black pepper
ground mustard

smoke with: 1 misquette, 2 oak, 2 maple for a total of 3 hours .. then cook at a box temp of 225 till an it of 150 to 160.. at the 145 f lather up with bulls eye bbq original bbq.... then again at 2 degrees befor you  pull

enjoy

KyNola

If you like it rare to medium rare I would pull the tri tip at an IT of 125-130 and yes, it will do just fine vac sealed and frozen.

zueth

I took mine to 140 and next time i think would do 135.

ghost9mm

I am like Larry..I like mine to the rare side...130 to 135 but a few times 145 if I am cooking for guests..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

You are going to love Tri-Tip...it is one fantastic cut of meat!

Ok first off no need to slather it with mustard. A simple rub of your choice will work. I sometimes like to use just white pepper, black pepper and kosher salt. I usually take mine to 140 IT max(I like med rare to rare). You can always over do un-done but cannot undo over-done ;D

I smoke mine with hickory, oak or pecan at 225F. Most Tri-Tips take around 3-4 hours so 2 hours of smoke is plenty. After it is finished give it a 30 minute rest wrapped in foil before slicing or you will lose precious juices.

The ends will be more done than the middle so it is a cut of meat that can make everyone happy. It freezes just as good as brisket so no problem there. And here is some pictures of what you have to look forward to ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

cinrds

Have not done Tri Tip I really like it but seem to forget about smoking it, but will make this year.

beefmann

good looking  tri tip

Hopefull Romantic

That is mighty fine looking piece of meat meube.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Muebe.....awesome tri tip.  Great info too.  Wouldn't bother to slather a tri tip and apply rub.  Hit it with your favorite rub and into the smoker. 

Taking a cooler full up to Hal4UK's place in June along with a "few" pounds of other meats.

forkliftdriver

Everyone is talking about an IT of 130-150...... what about 185+? I do a tri tip just like I do a brisket and it comes out AMAZING.  In fact, my worst tri tip still beats my best brisket that way every time.  Am I the only one who is doing this?

/interesting signature

KyNola

If you like a tri tip cooked to 185+, by all means go for it.  Not something I would do but that doesn't mean it's not right for you.  I prefer mine a little on the rare side.