Ribs and butt

Started by viper125, July 02, 2011, 06:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Ok been thinking I have 3 racks of spare ribs to do,also thinking of doing a butt to. Was going to preheat smoker to 250 insert meat do a 225 degree for 3-2-1. need to eat at 3:00 pm figured Id start at 8-9:00 in morning to get done on time. Now if I want a pork butt to whats the best way. Smoke with ribs and pull out and put in roaster? What temps and what is average time per lb. This is for monday. could I say smoke sunday morning throw in fridge and finish in roaster or oven?  Got all kind of things running in my mind. Could one of you pros give some reason to my insanity. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Pork butts take many hours and can be unpredictable as far as time(10-25 hours depending on size and desired IT). It is best to get the butt done before hand and then it can be re-heated in the crockpot or oven on Monday. The ribs are pretty consistent on time and can vary maybe an hour or two. The main thing is that it is much better to be done early than having people stand around waiting to eat. You can even get the stuff done early and then re-heat it in the Bradley to impress everyone :D

So I would say start the butt the day before early in the morning and hopefully it finishes that night. Then pull it and put it in the fridge for the next day. Then start your ribs in the morning ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

Quote from: muebe on July 02, 2011, 06:34:48 PM
Pork butts take many hours and can be unpredictable as far as time(10-25 hours depending on size and desired IT). It is best to get the butt done before hand and then it can be re-heated in the crockpot or oven on Monday. The ribs are pretty consistent on time and can vary maybe an hour or two. The main thing is that it is much better to be done early than having people stand around waiting to eat. You can even get the stuff done early and then re-heat it in the Bradley to impress everyone :D

So I would say start the butt the day before early in the morning and hopefully it finishes that night. Then pull it and put it in the fridge for the next day. Then start your ribs in the morning ;D
ditto
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Well figured Id be pushing it since we have no time today with the holidays. So butt is off the menu for tomorrow. But the ribs wilol still work out. Thanks for the info guys.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.