First attempt at a multiple smoke!

Started by Jsouthco, July 03, 2011, 06:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsouthco

Hi All,

Well I'm venturing into the realms of multiple Butts and a Brisket next weekend and just wanted to get some advice on ballpark timings. I need to have everything ready for a 4.00pm start on Saturday afternoon so here's what I am thinking:

• Thursday evening rub the 3 pork butts and bag and into the refrigerator (Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from 'Smoke and Spice')
    Friday morning rub on to the brisket, bag, and into the refrigerator (as above or maybe just salt and pepper and some garlic powder)
    Remove the meat from the refrigerator about 45 minutes before cooking start time and leave at room temp whilst the DBS gets up to around 250f

So here's my dilemma, when do I need to start these going in the 4 rack DBS? Each of the butts is around 6lb (x3) and the brisket is 8lbs so a total of 26lbs of meat. should I be calculating this as 26lbs x 1 1/2 hrs (working on 1 1/2 per lb of meat as an average) which equals a total cook time of 39 hours! or can I start them around midday on Friday and work on 24-26 hours for the lot? I appreciate that each piece of meat will be different so I'm just after some advice from the experts.

Second question - would you put the Brisket on the bottom shelf below the pork or on the top shelf above the pork?

• I'm going to do 3-4 hours of smoke (hickory and apple) at 225f and then remaining cook at 225f
    Looking for an IT on the pork of 195
    Looking for an IT on the beef of 185
    FTC for 2-4 hours pork (with a spritz of apple juice) and Brisket
    4.00pm Saturday - pull the pork and slice the brisket

Any advice on when I should start this batch of bad boys going would be appreciated.

P.S. - like all us Brits who enjoy our smoking I am still amazed at the cost of Butts and Brisket in the UK - Those 3 butts (3 x 6lb er's) and Brisket (8lb) just cost me £90 (around $130) so I would hate to get them wrong!

Happy holidays to all you fellow American smokers out there.

Thanks,

John.

beefmann

with that big of a load maybe start a bit earlier... between 8 am and 10 am on friday, Also rotate your racks every 3 to 4 hours, Top to bottom and front to back for even cooking, and no peaking

ghost9mm

Sounds like a plan, hope everything goes well for you and sure it will, have a great 4th..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

As well organized as you post is I do not think you will have a problem. Like beefman said I would start earlier with such a large load. I would leave the brisket at the top. Also you are going to need to change out the water and scrape the grease tray several times with a load like that or you could have a grease fire. I would change the water and clean the tray every time you rotate the butts. Just add hot water so you do not lose heat. Good luck and don't forget the details and pics ;D

And keep that vent wide open ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)