Chili

Started by GrillinFool, November 01, 2005, 01:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

Thanks Twolone.... I made your Chili tonight and it was fantastic. A definite keeper recipe. I have to admit though...I added some kidney beans to it. Forgive me.[;)]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

twolone

Beans? In Chili?! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

OK, I am better now. I forgive you. I need a beer.

I am glad it worked out for you....i was recruited to make chili for 50 the other night and I used 20# of meat in the effort. Luckily it all turned out well. :)

I will post that homestyle chili recipe soon....just have to put it on paper!

Ryan

Longhorns & Cowboys. BBQ of Champions.

MWS

I'm bumping this one back up.....

Read on for an excellent Chili recipe posted a while back by Twolone.
This has become my favorite Chili recipe. When I made it Friday, I added oak smoked chuck roast instead of hamburger. Fantastic results. So... for those that like a good chili, this one is a gem.

Quote from: twolone on January 20, 2006, 04:11:42 AM
OK...Here it is...I had to adjust it for "civilian" use.         
TEXAS COMPETITION CHILI RECIPE

Some people call this "3-Dump Chili" but I find that vulgar and refuse to do it. This is "Competition Chili" and will be fantastically strong to most people.

Step 1                  

2# Chili-Grind Beef (75/25 or 80/20) usually Chuck      
1 Tbsp   Bacon Fat      

Brown meat in fat. Do not drain.         

Step 2                  

1 14oz   Swanson's Beef Broth               
1 14 oz   Swanson's Chicken Broth               
1 8 oz   Hunts Tomato Sauce               
1 tsp   Tabasco Sauce      

Add to meat, keeping at simmer.         

Step 3         

DUMP # 1         
2 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Onion Powder      
1 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper      
1/2 tsp   Cayenne Pepper      

Add DUMP # 1.
Simmer med-low, covered, for 1 Hour.

Step 4         

DUMP # 2         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 Tbsp   Paprika      
1/2 tsp   Onion Powder      
1/2 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Mexican Oregano      
1/2 tsp   Jalapeño Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper
1/2 tsp   White Pepper      

Add DUMP #2
Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 45 min.

Step 5         

1 Med Jalapeño   Remove stem, slice lengthwise, and remove seeds

DUMP # 3         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Cumin
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1/2 tsp   Dark Brown Sugar

Use several pieces of white bread to soak up some of the pools of fat that accumulate on the surface.

Add DUMP # 3. Add Jalapeno. Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 30 min or until reduced to chili-consistency with a smooth, slightly thickened, velvety red gravy. Remove Jalapeño before serving. Use white bread to soak up some of the last pools of fat that have accumulated on the surface. Be sure to leave a little fat, though!

Want to reduce the heat? If you are not sure then you probably should. Don't put in the Jalapeño Powder and only add Tabasco to taste at the end. If you think that is still too hot then lose the cayenne and the whole Jalapeño. After that you can cut back on some White and Black Pepper and some Chili Powder.

Most Chili powders you buy from the store are made with some chili powder and a lot of tasteless paprika. Buy chili powder that is pure or a known blend...GEBHARDT'S is the one most Texas competition chili cooks use. A great place for pure powders and spices is http://www.mildbills.com

I will post a more consumer friendly, "Homestyle" chili recipe in a couple of days.

-Ryan

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

bubbagump

Thanks for bumping this Mike. It's that time of year around my place where chili starts heating up. ;D  I look forward to trying this receipe. When I do I'll post how everyone liked it.

I want to try Smokehouse Rob's white chili receipe as well.

Bubbagump

akchad

Quote from: twolone on January 20, 2006, 04:11:42 AM
OK...Here it is...I had to adjust it for "civilian" use.         
TEXAS COMPETITION CHILI RECIPE

Some people call this "3-Dump Chili" but I find that vulgar and refuse to do it. This is "Competition Chili" and will be fantastically strong to most people.

Step 1                  

2# Chili-Grind Beef (75/25 or 80/20) usually Chuck      
1 Tbsp   Bacon Fat      

Brown meat in fat. Do not drain.         

Step 2                  

1 14oz   Swanson's Beef Broth               
1 14 oz   Swanson's Chicken Broth               
1 8 oz   Hunts Tomato Sauce               
1 tsp   Tabasco Sauce      

Add to meat, keeping at simmer.         

Step 3         

DUMP # 1         
2 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Onion Powder      
1 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper      
1/2 tsp   Cayenne Pepper      

Add DUMP # 1.
Simmer med-low, covered, for 1 Hour.

Step 4         

DUMP # 2         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder      
1 Tbsp   Paprika      
1/2 tsp   Onion Powder      
1/2 tsp   Garlic Powder      
1/2 tsp   Mexican Oregano      
1/2 tsp   Jalapeño Powder      
1/2 tsp   Black Pepper
1/2 tsp   White Pepper      

Add DUMP #2
Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 45 min.

Step 5         

1 Med Jalapeño   Remove stem, slice lengthwise, and remove seeds

DUMP # 3         
1 Tbsp   Chili Powder
1 tsp   Kosher Salt      
1 tsp   Cumin
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1/2 tsp   Dark Brown Sugar

Use several pieces of white bread to soak up some of the pools of fat that accumulate on the surface.

Add DUMP # 3. Add Jalapeno. Simmer, partially covered (1/2" cracked), for 30 min or until reduced to chili-consistency with a smooth, slightly thickened, velvety red gravy. Remove Jalapeño before serving. Use white bread to soak up some of the last pools of fat that have accumulated on the surface. Be sure to leave a little fat, though!

Want to reduce the heat? If you are not sure then you probably should. Don't put in the Jalapeño Powder and only add Tabasco to taste at the end. If you think that is still too hot then lose the cayenne and the whole Jalapeño. After that you can cut back on some White and Black Pepper and some Chili Powder.

Most Chili powders you buy from the store are made with some chili powder and a lot of tasteless paprika. Buy chili powder that is pure or a known blend...GEBHARDT'S is the one most Texas competition chili cooks use. A great place for pure powders and spices is http://www.mildbills.com

I will post a more consumer friendly, "Homestyle" chili recipe in a couple of days.

-Ryan

I found this while searching for Chili recipes this weekend.  It was probably the best chili I've ever had, thank you so much for sharing!  I stayed pretty true to the recipe, but substituted 1 pound of smoked pork carnitas, (thanks to another recipe here) and one pound of smoked beef brisket for the ground beef.  I also added three cans of beans, and was liberal with the chili pepper.  The heat was perfect and a dollop of sour cream was a tasty touch to a wonderful dish!

rdevous

I pick out a 2 - 2.25 pound chuck roast and have the butcher do a chili grind on it.  That way I know that the meat I'm using is good quality and the meat grinder in in front of the window so you can watch them.

I love chili WITH beans.  I also love Cincinnati 5-way chili!!!   :) :) ;D ;D ::) ::)

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!