Whole chicken......

Started by sundawg, July 12, 2011, 10:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundawg

I want to try a whole chicken. My plan is to marinate over night, stuff it on a beer can rack and light smoke it for approx. 3 hours. I sure would like some ideas on this or any other way of cooking this bird. I'm open to suggestions as this is my first bird.

OU812

Your plan is pretty close to the way I smoke my yard birds.

After the marinade time prop that bird on the beer can holder with no beer can, thats for me.

Put that on a rack and the rack over a edged pan and let sit in the fridge overnight to drip and allow the skin to dry a bit.

When ready pull the bird outta the fridge and sit on the counter for an hr wile your smoker warms up.

I smoke/cook birds at 250 F and 2 hr smoke is enough for me, most of the time I use apple but last time I used oak and that didnt suck.

If you want crisp skin pull outta the smoker after the smoke and finish on the grill or TBE if ya got one.

Pull outta the heat when the IT hits 160 F in the breast and allow to rest for 10 min before carvin.

And most of all keep the vent WIDE OPEN.  ;D

rigstar

hey guys i am curious as to wht you marinated your bird in?
we love beer butt chicken on the  bbq, so i would like to try in smoker.
also i see in your post that you guys dont ust the beer can when you smoke,
can i ask why? to much moisture?
thanks
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

muebe

Quote from: rigstar on September 30, 2011, 09:05:59 PM
hey guys i am curious as to wht you marinated your bird in?
we love beer butt chicken on the  bbq, so i would like to try in smoker.
also i see in your post that you guys dont ust the beer can when you smoke,
can i ask why? to much moisture?
thanks

For me it is too much moisture and the beer will not get hot enough to do it's job. You can end up with chicken overdone on the outer meat because it takes longer to cook due to the beer removing heat from the interior.

When I use beer it is on my grill or TBE and I always heat the beer in a sauce pan then poor it back into the can before cooking. I also make sure it is only 1/2 to 3/4 full because liquids will go into the can from the interior of the bird.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

rigstar

kinda figured on the moisture thing, just wanted to be sure, thanks muebe
any insite into what you guys marinated the bird in?
that stuffed chicken does look very good!! not showing the boss that one
until i do one with bone in;lol
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

waterkc

O man, I feel a modification to the Peruvian Smoked Chicken. Going to de-bone (cuase I can spell the other word) and stuff that yard bird with some goodness. Hmm, what to stuff it with? Bacon? Rice&Peas, hmm. Something for sure.

More to come on this one. Thanks for the reminder that I need to smoke a yard bird this weekend.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."