Ribs and Porketta weekend, pics included

Started by richardvoyageur, July 17, 2011, 10:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardvoyageur

Hey guys, 3rd time using the smoker and had to go with ribs for time issues.  6 racks of back ribs and we also had a 10 lb porketta on the rotisserie in the grill.  I used Jan's Rub with a bit of heat on 3 racks and the "Award Winning Rub" that I found on the same website as Jan's Rub for the other 3 racks.  For the sauces I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ on 2, Bullseye on 2, and a great Apple Butter BBQ sauce on the last 2 which was really really good.

All of the ribs went quickly, there were none left at all.  We also demolished about 80% of the porketta, it was outstanding.

Final hour with sauce, about to go back in. 

The final hour

Finished plates with different sauces

The Boneyard!

Here's me and my buddy Paolo tending to the porketta.  I'm on the left.  We had a big drip tray underneath with a bunch of apple juice and we kept basting it with the juice & drippings.  We pulled it at 142F and it came up to about 150 with foil and towel.  It sliced beautifully, unfortunately I didn't grab any pics.
Sell the sizzle and the steak

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Danged if you didn't nail them ribs...really are good lookin ribs, and the bone yard proves it...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

Some great looking ribs. I can tell by the boneyard, the empty Corona bottles and the empty Shot glass, that you guys had a great get together!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 18, 2011, 02:09:49 PM
Some great looking ribs. I can tell by the boneyard, the empty Corona bottles and the empty Shot glass, that you guys had a great get together!!

Ditto!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

richardvoyageur

Thanks guys, I owe it all to this forum and its members!  You all are an invaluable resource to making great bbq.

By the way I forgot to mention I did 3-2-0.5 method, cut down the last hour as they were coming along quite nicely, I think I hit it right on too.  Half the racks had perfect teeth pulls but cleaned the bones easily.

You should have seen the rest of the table 10.5  ;D
Sell the sizzle and the steak