pulled pork help

Started by Dr. Smoke, July 26, 2011, 06:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Smoke

I've smoked 2 pork butts for 12-14 hours at 200".  Although really good, it is not as tender or "fall off the bone" as I think it should be.  Any suggestions?

squirtthecat

Welcome!

You'll really need to go by the internal temperature...   At least 190-195°.   That will take probably 18+ hours with two of them in the Bradley.      I've had some go 20 hours.

TedEbear

Also, many people on here have the cooking chamber set to 220-225*F, not 200.  Do that and monitor the internal temp of the meat like in the previous post and they'll come out tender.

mikecorn.1

I would say it's mandatory to cook by internal temp to get what you're looking for. Ive also gone 19 hours on pulled pork to get to 195' F. I started out with a Maverick dual probe thermometer that I got off Amazon. It keeps the temp off the meat and cabinet.
Mike

ghost9mm

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 26, 2011, 06:49:33 AM

Welcome!

You'll really need to go by the internal temperature...   At least 190-195°.   That will take probably 18+ hours with two of them in the Bradley.      I've had some go 20 hours.

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 26, 2011, 06:49:33 AM
Welcome!
X3!

OU812

Yep,,,,,,you want to cook by the IT (internal temperature) and not by time.

The time thing is just a ball park to know when to start checking and gettin things ready.

You should really get yourself one of these.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-ET-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-732.htm

It has a probe for your meat and a probe for the smoker, the one for the smoker should be below your lowest rack with meat on it.

Also, when stickin the probe in the meat make sure its NOT in the fat.

Dr. Smoke

That looks great.  I'm ordering one today

watchdog56

Don't forget to FTC for a couple of hours.

mtgrease

I did 28lbs of shoulder and it took almost 30hrs to get to 195.  It was pretty windy so that may have affected the time slightly but I was able to pull it apart with my hands.  It was very moist and tasted great.