Beef Chuckzilla 17.6lb -- finally done!

Started by Smokeville, July 21, 2011, 09:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

Nice job.  Looks like it made bark in the oven.  What was your oven cooking temp?
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Smokeville

Quote from: OldHickory on July 23, 2011, 03:35:23 PM
Nice job.  Looks like it made bark in the oven.  What was your oven cooking temp?

It was 210F. I wanted to keep it low...

Smokeville

Quote from: ghost9mm on July 23, 2011, 03:05:26 PM
Now that was a really good job on the chunk of meat, how many you gonna feed with that chunk of meat...looks like it will melt in your mouth...

Well, it slightly dry, but in my experience with beef chuck it is always a bit dry.

I made a "Wood Chicks" bbq sauce and the two combined are amazing. There will be maybe 35 folks at church tomorrow (we are small and somewhat disadvantaged people) but I think it will go over big time.

Rich

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, add some sauce and stir it up good to get it moist.   Even some generic gravy mixed in will bring some moisture back to it.   Great job!

kaskiles

Wow, that is a block of beef.  I would have expected it to take over 2+ hours/pound at 220 on the OBS.

I want one, Publix is selling boneless chuck at near 5$/lb USDA choice...
:'(
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

classicrockgriller

I had and did a chuckzilla. 17 plus lbs. plus with it a 8 plus brisket. (and some other things)

I will hunt the link cause I researched them and found that they stall and almost never climb again.

I pulled mine after 1 hr after the stall started going forward.

Smokeville

Quote from: classicrockgriller on July 27, 2011, 12:05:25 AM
I had and did a chuckzilla. 17 plus lbs. plus with it a 8 plus brisket. (and some other things)

I will hunt the link cause I researched them and found that they stall and almost never climb again.

I pulled mine after 1 hr after the stall started going forward.

Hi CRG: I did find that thread and it was a big help. That's where I borrowed "chuckzilla" from!

SnellySmokesEm

Nice job Smoke!  I have yet to do a chuckzilla, but I have done pulled beef plenty of times and I love it!  When I put it in the crock pot I usually add beef broth and apple juice to keep it moist.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist