• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Most Overlooked Recipe

Started by rdi, August 01, 2011, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdi

I've been reading and trying many of the recipes for over a year with good results. Some of my favorites are Greg's Spicy Beef Sticks , NePa Summer Sausage and Mike's Kielbasa.

Today, I made 8 lbs. of  10.5's Pizza Brats...the taste was unbelievable!!

From 10.5's Secret Receipt Files
on: May 13, 2011, 07:27:08 pm
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22360.0

Even though there wasn't much chatter about the Pizza Brats. This recipe is one of the best on the forum.
So I decided to make my first post.

NOW for a newbie question. Since all I've ever made are smoked sausages . Of course, I've never had any casing separation at the end of the link after cutting them apart. How do I prevent the casing separation on uncooked sausage after cutting the links apart ? Today, the casing pulled back almost 3/4 inch on each end of the link when cooked.

classicrockgriller

leave a little slag in the casing?

just a thought

Habanero Smoker

I mainly make fresh sausage, and have that same problem. I find letting the sausage air dry, either hanging or on inverted racks, for about an hour before cutting the sausage into separate links helps. Also do not use high heat, I use a med-low heat; sort of sauteing the sausage and turn frequently. Or cook them on a rack in a 300°F oven. It may not stop all shrinkage, but it helps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rdi

Thanks for the suggestions..
I'll try them on the next batch..also thinking about poaching before separating the links.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: rdi on August 02, 2011, 05:17:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions..
I'll try them on the next batch..also thinking about poaching before separating the links.

I would say to NOT poach your fresh sausage especially if your using  collogan casings. with the fats and the water when you do break them apart. You will probably end up with a skinless sausage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

rdi

I used hog casings for the pizza brats, but will scrap the poaching idea..thanks all for the help...

One more question.... is it necessary to use cure#1 if you air dry pork sausage for one or two hours before freezing the sausage?

Tenpoint5

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have poached sausage in the past. If using hog casings poaching at 170°F - 180°F will work. I poach them until they are fully cooked; 150°F - 152°F. Then when I reheat them, I reheat them in a pan at med-high heat or on the grill to brown them up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

These sound really good, If I get time before my operation I may whip up a batch using some of my smoked mozz and prov.  :)

rdi

Pensrock... hope all goes well with  your operation....The smoked mozz and prov should be like adding icing to a cake

Tenpoint5

Greg the Smoked Motzy is really great in this recipe.

love the smoke

yes i tried these brats also and they are really good awesome

LTS
LTS