• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Time for getting sausage to 155?

Started by fong0041, August 03, 2011, 02:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fong0041

This past weekend I tried my first batches of sausage making.  I tried a lebanon Bologne, Summer Sausage, and Snack Sticks.  Each recipe called for starting out at lower temperatures (100 to 140), then a smoke and hold at 170 until the internal temperature reaches 155.  As this is my first time with each of these, I did relatively small batches (10 lbs each) to get a feel for it.  I was concerned about the Delta T (only 15 degrees), seems like it could take a couple of days for large diameter!

For the snack sticks, this seemed to take about 7 hours (I think this was took long, as they are kind of dry/chewy), the lebanon bologne took close to 12 (wasn't able to monitor closely due to a pub crawl).  The Bologne was 5" diameter.  The Summer sausage is 2.5" diameter, so I was hoping that 7 hours at 180 degrees would be enough, but I just checked, and the IT was only 120ish.  Does this seam right??  (external conditions are 85 and sunny with very slight breeze).  I'm very concerned by the vagueness of directions, and I can't monitor my IT every 2-3 hours as I have to work/sleep.  Any thoughts/comments and suggested time vs casing size is greatly appreciated!

pikeman_95

Now you understand why I just made my summer sausage in 1.5 casings. [they turned out to be closer to 2"] I had them in the smoker for 2 hours and put them in the hot water bath for 20-30 minutes and done!!!!

My post         http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=23583.0        shows the process. I managed to smoke and process 3 batches in 10 hours.

Kirby

fong0041

What do you use to control your water bath temp?  Looks pricey.

pikeman_95

I built the tank for the longer sausages like the summer sausage. I do not have any fancy control on the tank. It just has a three burner stove top under it and I just watch it with a couple of digital thermometers from Walmart. A electric Turkey roaster has been used by some or a turkey oil fryer would also work well. The temperature of water moves kind of slowly so it is easy to keep track of. Remember you will only have it in the bath for 20-30 minutes. I just stay with it. Like I said every one has to kind of think of solving their own container and heat source. A camp stove would work well for most situations.

fong0041

24 hours with the chamber set to 180 and the internal temp of my SS is still only 145.  Very frustrating.  I'll set it for another 9 hours and check again after work...  That hot water bath is looking VERY appealing!  Just need to find a box/container big enough for my sausage! ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: fong0041 on August 04, 2011, 05:14:31 AM
24 hours with the chamber set to 180 and the internal temp of my SS is still only 145.  Very frustrating.  I'll set it for another 9 hours and check again after work...  That hot water bath is looking VERY appealing!  Just need to find a box/container big enough for my sausage! ;D

What diameter SS casing did you use?

How much is in your smoker? 5, 10, 20 lbs?

OU812

What were you using to take the cabnet temp?

10 lb of sausage should not take that long.

fong0041

they are 2.5" diameter casings, 4 total, each contains 2.5 to 3 lbs for 11 lbs total  (was supposed to be 10).

I have small dial meat thermometers found in any cooking supply store.
similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/IRT220-InstaRead-Expanded-Range-Thermometer/dp/B000095RBT/ref=sr_1_53?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312470938&sr=1-53
I've got one stuck in a sausage, and one sitting on top of my dowels at the top of the chamber so I just have to crack the door slightly to check the temperature.  In general, the dial thermometer at top of cabinet is 160 to 170 when my digital cabinet is set at 180 (and indicates it is 180), but the one in my sausage was 145 this morning. 

I've always questioned those thermometers, as I calibrate them to read 210 in boiling water, but then when they cool to room temp, one reads 75 and one reads 85.

NePaSmoKer

First off get them outta there and toss em (garbage)

I agree with OU. I have done 10 lbs of SS and never had it take that long. If your SS has been in there that long and still at 145? I would send them with the dial thermos and start over.

OU812

I would invest in better thermoters.

This one works great it has a probe smoker and a probe for the sausage
http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-ET-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-732.htm

I've got a couple of these.
http://www.yardandpool.com/Maverick-Remote-ET-73-Smoker-Thermometer-p/et-73.htm

Also, what is your vent set at?

Mine is wide open at all times.

fong0041

Mine is only open slightly.  Whats your reasoning for going wide open?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: fong0041 on August 04, 2011, 09:18:22 AM
Mine is only open slightly.  Whats your reasoning for going wide open?

Better air flow and less moisture. Mine is stuck full open.

OU812

With better air flow you have better distribution of the heat, by keeping the vent closed your trapping in all the moisture and the heat is being absorbed by the moisture and NOT the sausage.

Hope that made sence.  ;D

fong0041

Thanks for all of the great advice guys!  Before I make more sausage, I definitely intend to acquire a large pan (maybe a chafing dish or large roasting pan) that I can use for a hot water bath to quickly bring my sausage up to temp.  I will invest in a digital thermometer as well.  I suspect that'll help my ribs stay a little more juicy too (last batch was a little chewy, probably due to the thermometers).  I'll probably still try my SS that is still on my smoker, I guess worst case its just dry?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: fong0041 on August 04, 2011, 12:24:22 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice guys!  Before I make more sausage, I definitely intend to acquire a large pan (maybe a chafing dish or large roasting pan) that I can use for a hot water bath to quickly bring my sausage up to temp.  I will invest in a digital thermometer as well.  I suspect that'll help my ribs stay a little more juicy too (last batch was a little chewy, probably due to the thermometers).  I'll probably still try my SS that is still on my smoker, I guess worst case its just dry?

Dry or get really sick from it staying in there way to long at the temps you say.