Thai Chicken Sausage (with Pics)

Started by Kevin A, August 06, 2011, 12:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

I thought I'd try something a little different this time instead of the ol' stand-bys of pork & beef.
I decided to try a chicken sausage using Thai spices.

The fairly extensive list of ingredients:

I de-boned five pound of chicken thighs, keeping fat, lean & skins. Just under 4 pounds & nearly frozen before the grind:

Using a 4.5mm plate, I ground the chicken with the peanuts & sticky rice:

In goes the first batch of ingredients: salt, chopped green onions & the coconut milk:

Then added the rest of stuff (brown sugar, galangal, sesame oil, garlic, chili paste, black pepper & cilantro)
The fragrance coming off this mix is excellent!  ;D

Well-mixed & ready to stuff into 24mm sheep casings....

Five pounds of fresh Thai chicken sausage:

Sample time: Very tasty combination of garlic, coconut, cilantro, hint of sesame & peanut—all those things ones associates with good Thai cooking!
Not as much heat as expected using the chili paste, as it is very subtle. My wife gave it 5-stars! It'd go great with some noodles & stir-fry greens...

mikecorn.1

Thai Chicken Snausage. Looks good to me. Nice pictorial. ;D
Mike

KyNola

ghost9mm

Kevin...I really like the color, well done...would like to try that with some good grown rice...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OU812

That looks and sounds most excellent!

squirtthecat

WOW!

What is galangal?   Off to tha Google now...

Kevin A

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 06, 2011, 03:49:19 PM

WOW!

What is galangal?   Off to tha Google now...
It's really an interesting little spice to use. Not too overpowering as ginger can be tastes very similar, more 'flowery.'
To my nose, it smells a little like fresh-cut pine lumber, but the taste is pretty unique.

Bigbirdoffroad

Looks AWSOME Kevin. Your a sausage making machine.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Keymaster

I'm Impressed, Thats some good lookin sausage!!! Off the hook and top of the charts kinda sausage, uh huhhhhh :)

pikeman_95

Great pics and great looking sausage. Where did you come up with this idea?? The sausages are very colorfull did they taste as good as they looked. When I first started reading this post I didn't look who did it. I am looking at nuts and rice and  chicken and thinking is this guy drinking his bath water. But the sausages look so great.

Kirby

Keymaster

Quote from: pikeman_95 on August 06, 2011, 05:58:22 PM
Great pics and great looking sausage. Where did you come up with this idea?? The sausages are very colorfull did they taste as good as they looked. When I first started reading this post I didn't look who did it. I am looking at nuts and rice and  chicken and thinking is this guy drinking his bath water. But the sausages look so great.

Kirby
Is bath water equivelent to A whiskey + coke, I could save tons of money. never heard that phrase before, Lmao ;D

Kevin A

When I first started reading this post I didn't look who did it. I am looking at nuts and rice and  chicken and thinking is this guy drinking his bath water. But the sausages look so great.

Kirby

Kirby—
It's a Len Poli (sonoma sausage co) recipe that I tried to stay fairly true to.
Hey, you gotta try sumpthin' new sometimes & the flavor profile for these guys is 'spot on' if you're a fan of Thai cuisine.
I like the the texture of these— uniform with a bit of crunch from the peanut. And yes, I'm happy to report that as tasty as they look, the aroma of these things AND the taste is killer.

Only change I would make is to add more chili paste as I do like my thai food spicy!

—Kevin

Caribou

Those look fantastic!
Great pics, too :)
Carolyn

Bigbirdoffroad

Kirby
Drinking his bath water....LOL I shot my beer out my nose when I read your post!!!
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Tenpoint5

Them is some great looking Snausages Kevin!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!