My wife bought me the BDS for my birthday.

Started by Raymillsus, August 01, 2011, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymillsus

This is my first post so be nice  ;D

Ok so my wonderful wife (after smoking a few things on a borrowed propane smoker) told me she ordered me a Bradley Digital smoker from Costco (4 shelf). My question is I would like to use this on my deck and need to know how long the cord is on these things. I know I may need an extention cord and I am looking at a 10/3 to ensure no issues.

Also,
I am not sure if the Costco version is different since it is described different on their site. It says 34" tall and Polished Stainless Steel interior. I do not see this on the bradley site. There is nothing that even meets the specs of the costco product. I know it also comes with a box of pucks and a cover that others do not. I wonder if anyone else has bought this unit from Costco and found out it is just a misprint. I am really excited about this smoker my goal is to be able to set it up before work and come home to a great dinner.

1 more thing.

How many pucks do you use for a smoke? I am planning on stocking up on them just want to get an idea. I know they burn for 20 min each but how long do you usually apply smoke I am usually 3hrs tops.

Well thanks for looking my post and I look forward to reading your responses.

mikecorn.1

Hey there. Congrats on the Bradley. More folks will be by with more info. The longest I've applied smoke is 4 hours. When I first got on here I was told that anything more than that doesn't add any more smoke flavor. The amount of smoke depends on what you are smoking in the Bradley. Some items take smoke better than others. For me it's trial and error with the flavors off wood and smoke amount. Have fun. 
Mike

muebe

to the forum! And congrats on your new Bradley ;D

I usually will do 4 hours of smoke at the most. I mostly average about two hours. The Bradley creates quite a concentration of smoke because of it's separate puck burner design. Large butts will get 4 hours and most everything else will get 2 or less.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Raymillsus

Thank you for the replies. Any idea on the length of the cord. I want to use the shortest extention cord I can. But want to get one before it gets here. Birthday was yesterday but it has not even shipped yet. Maybe this weekend I can do a but. :D

mikecorn.1

Mike

Raymillsus

Wow longer than I expected. I think a 10ft cord might do it.

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Welcome Ray.  Some on here have said using an extension cord cuts down on the performance of the Bradley.  The experts should be along soon to guide you right.  4 hours of smoke will get you on most.  On butts I will do 6 hrs and a brisket 4 to 6 depending on size.  Did salmon last night and did 2 hrs of apple.

classicrockgriller

A 12 0r 14 guage extention cord would be enough with a length of 15 feet.

If you are not use to smoking and since the Bradley makes great smoke,

start with 4 hours on Butts, Briskets, and other large cuts of meat.

Less for Chicken, Pork Loins, etc.

Too much and you might be belching smoke.

I smoke Briskets and butts with 6 hrs smoke and later add 2 to 4 hrs

of smoke for the bark.

You will found what you like.

Good Luck and Happy Birthday!

PS ......... Welcome to the Forum.

Quarlow

Congrats and welcome to the forum. you definitely want as short of a cord as possible. I have a 12 ga. cord 15 ft. long and the outlet I plug into has nothing else running on it. At first I couldn't get the heat up and when it was suggested to check the outlet usage I found I had several other things on the same circuit. As it is I have to plug my computer into another outlet when I am smoking.
As for smoke time as has been said the smoke in a Bradley is more concentrated than other smokers. 4 hrs for pork butts, 2 hrs for salmon, sausage and most things, cheese depends on how much you like smoke 40 mins, to 2 hrs.
All the Bradley's are polished stainless....er at least for the first couple of smokes.  :D :D :D
You will need a little more attention to the smoker than loading it up and coming home to a nice smoked dinner. I mean they are good but that would be incredible. Say you wanted to do a smoked stuffed pork loin, well that will only take about 2 to 3 hrs with about 40 mins of smoke. Ribs take longer with the 3,2,1 method. That will give you 6 hrs. but you need to be involved with the process. Such as at 3 hrs. you will foil wrap them with a splash apple juice then back in the smoker 9with no smoke) for 2 hrs. and then unwrapped, sauced and back in for 1 more hr. Then you may want to throw them on the BBQ for 20 mins. to thick the sauce up. Hope this helps along with what the others have said. Enjoy the smoker and the forum, this is a great place.
Q.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: DTAggie on August 01, 2011, 08:12:27 PM
Welcome Ray.  Some on here have said using an extension cord cuts down on the performance of the Bradley.  The experts should be along soon to guide you right.  4 hours of smoke will get you on most.  On butts I will do 6 hrs and a brisket 4 to 6 depending on size.  Did salmon last night and did 2 hrs of apple.

I also have seen that. Im not an expert on the bradley by Any means and i know i dont have nearly the experiance off lots off members here but I've had my 4 rack digital for a little over 2 years now and i have always used it with an extension cord that is 50 ft long to get it were I want to smoke.  I've never had any issues with it holding temp or bugging out on me. Ive always ran a maverick dual probe and recently my auber dual probe Pid and it's alway were it needs to be.  
Mike

Raymillsus

So my BDSwas delivered yesterday. Put it together and did the seasoning. Is taht muchsmoke normal? WOW this thing puts out the smoke. Hoping to do my first smoke this weekend.

Raymillsus

BTW Thank you everyone for your replies. I am looking forward to using this unit and getting my smoke on.  ;D