What a crock...

Started by Ka Honu, August 11, 2011, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Well, not actually a CrockPot, but I did get a new slow cooker this week and decided to inaugurate it by making osso buco using beef shanks instead of veal (They're far easier to find, much cheaper, and more intensely flavorful). I usually do this in my "gumbo pot" (ceramic coated cast iron) on the stove and in the oven but thought I'd try out the new toy tool.

So I gathered the raw materials...

(Sorry about the photo quality but SWMBO was using the "real" camera at work and I had to use the one in my phone.  Probably doesn't matter since I take such lousy pictures anyway)

I was too lazy to crank up the smoker but I did sear the shanks and start the veggies on the RED with some smoke instead of browning them on the stovetop... 

Then dumped that and the other osso buco things into the slow cooker and let it do its thing for 6 hours.

Served with couscous and topped with gremolata (lemon zest, garlic & parsley) plus salad on the side...

Sometimes I even impress myself.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

SouthernSmoked

Mmmmm... a good looking plate of vittles.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Looks great KH

But what the heck is cuscus?

squirtthecat

Looks good!   What kind of slow cooker did you get?

We really like those Near East couscous mixes..

Tenpoint5

All this talk about a new toyool and not even one picture of it!! What's up with that Mr Turtle Hmmm????
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

That looks like a fine feed.  I love the marrow -  look for shanks with a large amount of marrow and always dig or suck that out.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

QuoteAll this talk about a new toyool and not even one picture of it!! What's up with that Mr Turtle Hmmm?
I was thinking the same thing. It does look good though.  :)

KyNola

Ka Honu

I'm amazed at the number of people who want to see a picture of a Crockpot wannabe.  Here's the Amazon link although it's gotten more expensive since I ordered it last week.

NePaS - Couscous is rolled semolina and is kind of a staple starch in much of West Africa, the Mediterranean, and parts of South America.  You can buy an "instant" version (brand name "Mid East") in several flavors. Give it a try.

azamuner73

hal4uk

Dang...  That looks fantastic! 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ccfdmike

Nicely done! Just one more item to add to my list of things to do......Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D