Venison backstrap - smoke before bbq

Started by hvhunter, August 19, 2011, 06:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

One of my favorite bbq dishes is venison backstrap, cooked medium rare. Unless I'm having 'the boys' over for dinner, this causes a problem with the wife and others; they cannot stomach eating venison that just beyond the stage of grunting back to you.

I had a whole backstrap that I marinated for a day in some McCormick's marinade that I hopped up with pureed onion and garlic. After preheating the bradlee to 230 for an hr, I smoked it with hickory at 220 for 1.25 hr, with my temp probe in the small end of the meat. The temp reached 140, I pulled it off, and then grilled it for a few mintues on each side. OMG was it delicious, moist, soft, and uniformly looked cooked all the way though. My wife and other guests that 'don't like vension' gobbled it down like there was no tomorrow. I also grilled a small steak on the side, and not to my surprise, the venison was completely gone, but there was leftover steak. I think the next time I will do I will pull the strap off at 130; not that at 140 it was over done or anything.

Tenpoint5

!30 sounds about right if your going to hit it on the grill. I drape bacon over the top of mine and run to 145 then foil tent it on the counter for 20 minutes and it comes out perfect.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hvhunter

Looks perfect; my next one will be like that.

DisplacedCoonass

Either of you tried anything similar with different cuts of deer?  I'm all outta backstrap but have a couple of roasts left.  Also thinking about putting a bit of smoke on some venison skirt before I turn it into fajita's.

hvhunter

Can't say I have, but why not give it a crack?