To pre-heat or not to pre-heat?

Started by ritzdeliman, November 17, 2005, 07:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritzdeliman

I've had my BS for over two weeks and have pretty much used it non stop,the other two CWS are a little jealous. My question is should I pre-heat every time or does it really make a big difference? I've tried both ways and the cook times vary but the final result is usually the same. Just wondering.
ritzdeliman

nsxbill

I always preheat an hour at temp of about 250 while meat is out of the refrigerator getting closer to room temp and rub applied after marination or brining.  When meat goes in, I don't get such a cabinet temp drop if I am speedy.  I use Procom4 and Raptor to control temp, so I don't come back until 4 hours later(chicken done as below).  I usually apply 4 hours of smoke to everything besides chicken or shrimp.    With chicken I cook at highest possible achievable temp for first two hours, then out onto grill to finish up.

I don't like rubbery consistency of skin in chicken, and I like to brown it up a bit prior to eating - a little sauce, carmelized sure tastes good on the chicken.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ritzdeliman

Thanks Bill, that just confirms my suspiscions. I think that from now on I will pre-heat for everything but cold smokin. Thanks again
ritzdeliman

bsolomon

Preheating will also help ensure you get a good burn on your first one or two bisquettes.  without preheating you will often see that the frist couple are only artially used, which means you aren't getting quite as much smoke as you planned for...

MallardWacker

Along with your preheating, put your filled water bowl in also so it can come up to temp.

PLUS Bill(da-man) has it right on about the chicken.  That is the only way I do chicken now.  Makes a very pleasent piece of fowl.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...