Smokin at 40 below

Started by ritzdeliman, November 18, 2005, 03:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Hi RichardT, welcome to the forum. [:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">almost dieing at 23 from food poisening <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Take a look at this site, it may put your mind at ease a little that there is no additional risks from cold smoking or hot smoking "low and slow" providing the basic rules of food hygiene are adhered to.

http://www.susanminor.org/

In particular have a look at the Curing and Brining section and Food Poisoning and Food Hygiene Part 2.

There is also a wealth of recipes and other useful information which can be accessed easily from the sticky at the top of each topic list on this forum.

Oldman did a stunning job on this, it is well worth exploring.[:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Jimbo

[/quote]
Welcome, Jimbo!  How did you prep your ducks before popping them in the BS?  Were they fatty after they were done?

John
Newton MA
[/quote]

John,

I rubbed them down with oil and then garlic, salt and pepper.  They weren't fatty.  The Mallards we get have very little fat on them, especially when compared to farm raised ducks.

JJC

Sounds delish, Jimbo . . . may have to take up hunting!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Muskwa

Hi all, Just got a BS for Christmas and am new here. I've been doing all my smoking previously in a homemade barrel smoker heated with charcoal. I have been able to smoke in 30 below C. The biggest problem I've had with the elements is inconsistent temps within the smoker. Lots of monitoring and shifting racks to even out the process was a pain and frequent opening added time, but an eye on the IT always made for good results.