How much smoke for cheddar cheese?

Started by zueth, August 04, 2011, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I did two hours of Apple on my last batch of cheddar and liked the end result, I waited 4 weeks before trying.

I am wondering if anybody has tried longer smoke times, say 3 or 4 hours of apple? how were the results?

Wildcat

I have done 4 hours and was not pleased with the results.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ghost9mm

We find that we like 2 hours and vac-pak for at least a month, now that's just us, I would guess that you will receive different times...and you pick what you like...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

zueth

Quote from: Wildcat on August 04, 2011, 01:03:13 PM

Was it just two smokey and took away from the flavor of the cheese?

Ka Honu

Of course it's all a matter of your personal preference but the main variables are type of cheese, type of wood, smoking time and resting time.  Like most, I find that 2 hours smoke with an hour of open air and month at rest in the fridge are a good starting point.  As you increase the length of the smoke, relative strength of the cheese (e.g., from mild to XS), and/or go to "heavier" woods (e.g., mesquite or hickory), you'll also want to let the product rest and mellow out for longer.  Experiment.

La Quinta

I go with 2 hours on every cheese...trust me I have come to know cold smoking cheese as my window closes very quickly here in the desert...If you have a vac sealer...just let it sit for a month or so...open it up...use what you wish and re vac....we do about 20lbs a year...that might seem miniscule to some...but...for us it's heaven for 2 months....you all that live in cold/mild climates...I'm envious...was 115 yesterday...but it's a dry heat!!!!

Wildcat

Quote from: zueth on August 04, 2011, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: Wildcat on August 04, 2011, 01:03:13 PM

Was it just two smokey and took away from the flavor of the cheese?
Never totally got rid of the ash taste. Of course I may have not kept the temp low enough. I recommend going with 2 hours.

La Quinta

Cat Man...you are still here...there is a god!!!  ;D

Wildcat

Still here. Just not posting as much. How yas doing LQ?

FLBentRider

I've found that the harder the cheese, the more smoke you need.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Doing just fine Cat...I hope you are well too...us old farts don't post much anymore!!!  ;D