Heating Element Failed again.. THIS SUCKS!

Started by mcalpin1, August 20, 2011, 11:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcalpin1

I'm smoking and AGAIN the heating element on my six rack Bradley has failed.  I like the concept of Bradley, but these failures are so Fing disappointing.   Now I have to pull out my Big Chief to get the job done. 

Power is on.. temp set to 240,,, 4 hours later on a 80 degree day, the temp is only 113.  Open the door and looked at the heating element, it shows no signs of redness.  I touched it... not even hot. 

Bradley should have a warning chime when something is broken versus the customer trying to figure out the element is out.   I should order 5 elements just for a back up. 

Not a good day.

mikecorn.1

Mike

Keymaster

How frustrating!!! I feel for your string of bad luck. Seems like it always happens on friday and you cant call Bradley until Monday. They will take care of you as long as the warranty is still valid.

ghost9mm

WOW !!! really sorry....I bought 3 spares from yard & Pool right after I got my Bradley and I have had to use one so far...good luck
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wyoduke

good recovery and  thats what counts i have had my troubles also but i now keep an extra element on hand and Bradley will stand  behind it so no worries Brian and the staff are great
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

muebe

Sorry to hear about your troubles but Bradley customer service is top notch ;D

This is why when I was deciding between a dual element mod or the 900w element mod the 900w element mod was a easy decision for me ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Smoking Alligator

I guess I have been lucky.  I have done 6 smokes with my OBS since December when I got it.  Haven't had any troubles so far.  I've been reading about failed heating elements quite a bit so I went ahead and ordered a spare heating element just in case.  I take good care of my OBS, keep it clean and only move it outside when I am planning to use it, otherwise it stays in the garrage.  Regarding on this topic, what else can fail on Bradley smokers?  Is it always the heating elements or is there some other spare part that is recomended to have in hand just in case???

GusRobin

with the OBS I would get the in line fuse that is in the back of the unit. It is cheap insurance.
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Inline-Fuse-p/inlinefuse.htm
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking Alligator

Thanks,

And where does that go?  Do I take off the pack panel screws and look for it in there?  How do you replace in case you need to and how can you tell that the inline fuse went bad?  Do you change the heating element for a new one and if that doesnt work, means the inline fuse is no good?

How often have you had to change your inline fuse?  Sorry for bombing you with these questions and thanks for your help.

GusRobin

no problem on the questions.
If you open your cabinet you see a nickel size round sensor, about 2/3 up. This is the heat sensor. In the back of the unit, the fuse is about that same height. You will have to take the back off.

It is rare that the fuse goes. I noticed mine when I had n heat in the cabinet, and the red power button wasn't lit. After checking all the  plugs,  I figured it was either the element or the fuse. since I  have had my unit for 2 yrs without an element issue, i checked the fuse first and it was blown.

I only brought is up because you asked for suggested spares. At 3.99 it is cheap insurance.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoking Alligator

Thanks again. 

I will get one just in case. I should be convered with the spare heating element and the fuse I should have everything covered.

MikeCol

I've complained about this since day one on mine. They gave me all kinds of things to try and now it is dead.  Of course it is no longer in warranty so, I have to pay for it.   Nice!