Rainbow Trout

Started by zr2paul, April 30, 2004, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zr2paul

I went Trout fishing and I have a 3 lbs and a 6lbs Rainbow Trout and I would like to Cold Smoke the 3 lbs Rainbow however I dont know a recipe or how to do it properly.  If someone could give me some step by step instructions Id appreciate it!

Paul

Fuzzybear

I'd be interested also...I've only done the hot smoking for the trout!

No brine - whole fish/lightly oiled/sprig o' rosemary in the cavity, flipped halfway during the smoking process.....smoked it for about 1-2 hours depending on how much smoke flavor I wanted.  Oh yeah, left the skin on too - smoked it whole, not filleted.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

zr2paul

FUZZYBEAR...this may be a dumb question but when you hot smoked your Trout, after the 1-2 hours is it ready to eat just like that?

Could you give me some details on how to properly hot smoke a Trout.  How do you know when its ready?

Thanks
Paul

Fuzzybear

Smoked trout should be flaky - typically,I've found about 1 to 2 hours at 220 does the trick,(depending on how cooked and how much smoke you want);  the skin pulls away easily (you can actually see it drying out and pulling away from the jaw just a tiny bit exposing teeth), it's not mushy and the eyes are really dull.  I know this doesn't help much but it's more of an art than science...the flesh comes out kind of a color that's somewhat white but not "bright" white. But not grey (gray[?]) either. Except for the pink trout...then that's pink of course!  The whole fish should have a kind of "orangy/yellow" color to them but just a slight "orangy/yellow" color...around the edges sort of.....(the color is from the smoke)

If you've grilled them, then you'll know what to look for in the way of color and doneness. Just takes longer on the smoker...

And yes, they will be ready to eat[:p]

I wish I could give you more info but quite honestly, I've been doing them so long, I can just sort of tell just by looking at them

I would suggest that you go to the store and pick up a couple of "testers" and try them out first if you are not willing to send your hard work in the trash!

We've all had to turn our head sideways in trying things out for the first time!

I do wish you the best of luck on them!

Glendora, CA - USA!

ChefJeff

zr2Paul, Open the trout up,oil with olive oil,salt,pepper,lemon juice.Skin side down,make sure you oil the rack.Thats it.Use a lite wood alder,cherry,top or middle rack 180F-200F about 2-3 hrs,Best way to see if it is done -Taste it.[:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />Best way to see if it is done -Taste it.[:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yup![:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

zr2paul

I assume that is for hot smoking.  What about cold smoking?

Paul

trout

Paul, I'm not sure you would want to cold smoke a trout.  I have had cold smoked salmon several times as an appetizer with crackers and what not.  It is great, but basically is salt cured raw fish.  I think it is the color and the larger texture of the salmon that makes it more suitable to be cold smoked and sliced very thin.  I would stick to hot smoking for trout.  I use a lazy man fish brine mix like High Mountain Seasonings sells.  It is available at any sporting goods or Ace hardware store.  Your fish is done smoke cooking when no longer translucent at all, but I like to smoke mine longer to dry it out just a bit.[:)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Chez Bubba

There you go Paul. In my book, if a man is passionate enough about something that that's his board name, you have found an expert in the field. I'd take trout to the bank.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

zr2paul

Before I put the Trout in the smoker to hot smoke it do I need to cure or use brine to prep the trout?  If so what is the procedure for that?

Also..when I put the fish on the rack skin side down, instead of putting oil on the rack can I put a piece of foil enough to just cover the fish area?  

Thanks!

Paul

ChefJeff

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefJeff</i>
<br />zr2Paul, Open the trout up,oil with olive oil,salt,pepper,lemon juice.Skin side down,make sure you oil the rack.Thats it.Use a lite wood alder,cherry,top or middle rack 180F-200F about 2-3 hrs,Best way to see if it is done -Taste it.[:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Try it you will like it.I have never used foil it might block the smoke.[xx(]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

I've never cured nor brined my trout...just seasoned it and smoked it right outta the fridge...........

Glendora, CA - USA!

zr2paul

I have a 3 and a 4 lbs Rainbow Trout that I want to hot smoke this week.  How long show I smoke them for?  How long should I cook them for in the Smoker?  What temperature should I keep them at when smoking/cooking them?  Which wood flavor should I use?  Should I fillet the Trout?  Is it safe to smoke/cook without using a brine or cure?

Thanks everyone!  You all have been a great help!

Paul

zr2paul

This is what I have come up with from all the information I could gather about smoking Rainbow Trout.

Once the Rainbow Trout has been cleaned and head cut off it can be prepared for smoking.  It is best to leave the Trout as a whole and not filleted.  You may use a brine or not...it's totally up to you.  The whole fish can be lightly oil the inside and outside and put some rosemary in the cavity.  Smoke the Trout at 220 Degrees for 2 hours (using Apple or Hickory), flipping it half way through the smoking process.  The Trout is ready for dinner.

Does this sound right?  Should I add any more ingredients inside the fish cavity?  Do I need to oil the grilles in the smoker or do I just oil the outside of the fish?  Which grille do I put the trout on?  Any more tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Paul