• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A Whole Different Animal

Started by Majes, August 24, 2011, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majes

At the suggestion of others, I placed a foil wrapped brick on the bottom tray (next to water bowl).   This, combined with running the vent wide open, caused my smoker to behave much differently than before:  gone are the wild temperature swings and slow recovery times.   I was rotating, foiling and unfoiling like a champ with quick temp recovery and no more spikes.

I feel like another brick may further improve performance.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Majes on August 24, 2011, 07:01:59 PM
At the suggestion of others, I placed a foil wrapped brick on the bottom tray (next to water bowl).   This, combined with running the vent wide open, caused my smoker to behave much differently than before:  gone are the wild temperature swings and slow recovery times.   I was rotating, foiling and unfoiling like a champ with quick temp recovery and no more spikes.

I feel like another brick may further improve performance.

;D ;D ;D Go for it! Can't Hurt!

Quarlow

I'm with the monkey, I have two in mine.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

beefmann

dman4505

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

mikecorn.1

I also have two in mine.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

squirtthecat

Yep, pile 'em in.

I also use an Lodge square cast iron skillet for my water bowl. (with a foil insert)

OU812

I got 2 bricks in mine, just wash them when I wash the V tray.

Had to knock out a notch for the water bowl in one of em.

Karaokegod01

Ok I am newbie here so pardon the dumb question but what does the brick do? I have not recieved my smoker in the mail yet so I am just trying to get prepared for when it gets here

OU812

Quote from: Karaokegod01 on August 25, 2011, 02:21:10 PM
Ok I am newbie here so pardon the dumb question but what does the brick do? I have not recieved my smoker in the mail yet so I am just trying to get prepared for when it gets here

The brick works as a heat sink, helps with the heat recovery after you open the door.

ghost9mm

Yep!!! 2 bricks in mine, just change out the foil once in awhile when it gets funky...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pensrock

I'm a wild man.... I do not wrap my bricks.  ;D
Since we build industrial furnaces I have a few different sizes so I can squeeze more in. Works great.
I also preheat higher than I plan to run at. Gets them bricks good and hot.  :)

Majes

OU812:  the brick is very dense and not a good conductor of heat, so once it gets heated to the internal temperature of the cabinet it will retain that heat far longer than any piece of metal.  Translation:  when you open cabinet to mop, sauce, foil or rotate the brick will retain its heat and thus help the cabinet temp recover to its original temp before you opened the door.   Basically it helps the efficiency of the unit.

OU812

Quote from: Majes on August 25, 2011, 06:58:46 PM
OU812:  the brick is very dense and not a good conductor of heat, so once it gets heated to the internal temperature of the cabinet it will retain that heat far longer than any piece of metal.  Translation:  when you open cabinet to mop, sauce, foil or rotate the brick will retain its heat and thus help the cabinet temp recover to its original temp before you opened the door.   Basically it helps the efficiency of the unit.

Like I said.

Quote from: OU812 on August 25, 2011, 02:53:28 PM

The brick works as a heat sink, helps with the heat recovery after you open the door.

Without all them other words.  ;D

Majes

Sorry OU, that rambling response was intended for Karaoke's question.